Sunday, December 2, 2007

On a Gem with No Name


I'm getting new rudder cages! Or maybe used ones? I have the contact info for the manufacturer of the original steel cages. Richard, on the Gemini forums, pointed me in the right direction. Thanks Richard! Another guy on the forums is replacing his cages, and might let me have his old ones. That would be great because new ones are very expensive, and I've been hemorrhaging cash the past couple months.

One of my main concerns about the cages is that my mahogany boards will fit into them. My boards are a slightly different shape than those on the newer Geminis. By fortuitous happenstance, there was a classic gem in the creek with us last night. In the morning, I kayaked over and took a ton of pictures and measurements of the rudder cages. Then I paddled back and got one of my boards. I was able to fit it into the cage. It isn't an exact fit. I'll have to make some modifications to the new cages, but it will work.

I don't know who the other Gemini belongs to. The boat wasn't even named. Whoever the boat belongs to, I apologize for molesting your boat. I did not board the boat. I was able to do everything from my kayak on the water. Recently, there has been some discussion on the Gemini forums about boat security. One guy suggested he would shoot anyone who messed with his boat. I'm glad the boat didn't belong to that guy.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Me too. Of all the reasons why I worry about your trip (hmm, maybe a new sidebar list?), I'd rather not add "possibility of getting shot by territorial Gemini owners."

NautiG said...

I'm in heaven! I have football on the tv!