Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Oyster Bed


The tides here are about 4 feet. At low tide the oyster beds are exposed. I would love to be feasting on oysters right now, but they are all pretty small. I learned from the guy at the marina where I got gas, that that's just the way they are.

I had to wait until the highest of high tide to get the boat ungrounded. Even then we did not float off. I had to rev the engine and do some rocking and pushing of the boat. The wind had really driven her hard onto the shore. Fortunately, I was on mud and not an oyster bed.

I'm just north of Charleston now. I'm going to spend tonight at a marina and check out the town. It's been about three weeks since I've paid for a marina. I've gotten pretty adept at the whole sponge bath thing, but the boat does need a power-wash, and I have a lot of laundry to do.

For the past couple days there has been a crackling noise in the hulls. Apparently, the noise is krill feasting on the algae on my hulls. I'll see if I can get a picture of them for you.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Is your next recipe going to be ramen with krills?

NautiG said...

If I could catch 'em it might be. So far I've only heard them. They travel in swarms. Might make a good horror movie. Attack of the Krills!

Grampa said...

Hopefully the crackling noise isn't micro fractures of your hull! If not, kill the krills.

Grampa said...

Hopefully the crackling noise isn't micro fractures of your hull! If not, kill the krills.