Thursday, December 13, 2007

Forgive Us Our Trespasses



Left Little River early. I had been tied up to the fuel dock at B&W marina behind a huge gambling boat. I got in early enough last evening that I could have ridden that boat out three miles from shore and gambled to my heart's content until the boat returned later in the night. Fortunately, my brain is wired in such a manner that gambling does absolutely nothing for me. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy most vices. But gambling just irritates me. Instead, I just enjoyed the prop wash when the gambling boat left and returned.

I motored for a couple hours in the morning until I reached mile 387.5 on the icw. The tide was against me, and I wasn't making very good speed. At 1:30 or so the tide would turn and I could ride it down the Waccamaw River. The guidebook mentioned Brookgreen Gardens at mile 387.5, and made it sound very enticing. It sounded like an interesting side trip to make while waiting for the tide to turn. Unfortunately, the guidebook also said that the creek leading to the gardens was fenced off.

When I got to the creek, it was indeed fenced off, and No Trespassing signs were posted. I decided that the signs weren't really meant for me and my kayak. (And truthfully, fencing off a navigitable (sp?) creek off a public waterway sounds very sketchy to me. If I were arrested for being on that creek, and I had the time and money to waste, I'd fight the fence.)

I kayaked about half a mile up the creek and found this: Brookgreen Gardens





7 comments:

sandy said...

Rules are made to be broken, and it looks like you were rewarded.
Local news flash--new restaurant at Ann and Lombard--Peruvian. Apparently very good and very cheap--a byo place. One half a roast chicken and french fries $5.00.
Sandy

Grampa said...

I realy like the titles you give to your blog articles. Keep it up (and use them in your book).

Amy said...

Those pictures were definitely worth the risk. I didn't even worry! (Dick, I'm trying to follow your advice!)

Sandy, that Peruvian place was open before Scott left but I couldn't get him to go there with me.

NautiG said...

Sandy, Amy and I walked by that place and it was empty. I prefer to eat where others are already eating. To make matters worse, their specialty is guinea pig. Those guys were my furry little pets when I was a kid. I can't imagine one as dinner.
Scott

Grampa said...

Let's see, if pets while you were a kid rules out eating them, you will not be eating snakes, lizards, rabbits, chickens, guinea pigs, mice, fish, dogs, cats, goats, horses, and maybe you should stay away from honey.

NautiG said...

I eat about a third of those animals.

NautiG said...

Grampa, don't forget Lucky the Duck. We found duck eggs on our old Rainbow sailboat when I was a kid. We brought the eggs home and one of them hatched.

There are a lot more dead and lucky ducks around here today. I was awoken this morning by gunshots. I was told at the marina where I got gas that today is the first day of duck hunting season.