Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Weird Christmas


I need to stop reading the guide book, and apparently the New York Times. I was all excited about Beaufort, SC. I was thinking we'd spend the month of January here. This Beaufort doesn't blow, like the one in NC. But it's not nearly as great as the NY Times makes it out to be in this article. It's just a sleepy southern town with a few blocks of picturesque houses and a short main street. I was hoping to find some xmas spirit here, but the streets were mostly deserted and undecorated with lights or ornaments. The aptly named Church street had churches, but none were holding Christmas morning services.

I was returning to the boat in a poo-poo mood when I spotted a boat anchored uncomfortably close to mine. It almost looked like they were rafted up together. I kayaked over to the boat to see what was up. The young couple apologized for being so close to my boat. They were having engine trouble. I offered to help, and it turned out that I had the parts they needed on my boat. Being able to help someone out on Christmas Day did give me a little bit of a warm feeling.

I was hoping to get a Christmas-y pic for the blog in Beaufort, but I didn't see anything. Some of the houses in Beaufort are listed for sale in the millions. I bet the house in the picture could be bought for a more reasonable price.

2 comments:

Amy said...

So sad. And we could have used your help herding the nieces and nephews today. Merry Christmas, my dear.

NautiG said...

Happy Boxing Day! I picked up some more LED xmas lights on sale. The boat is going to be energy efficient and festive all year long!

At anchor in Hilton Head. Still in search of a marina for January.