Saturday, December 22, 2007

Jack, Bob and Chuck


I often listen to my ipod while I'm driving down the Intra-Coastal Waterway (ICW). I've got some podcasts I listen to including Car Talk, This American Life, Marketplace and Big O & Dukes. I also listen to a bunch of music on my ipod which friends and family have given me. But I also have a radio on board, and I listen to that too.

In Maryland there is an adult hits station called Jack. It's radio's response to the mp3 player. Instead of playing the same 20 songs from a specific genre over and over(rock, rap, classical, etc), Jack mixes it up with a much larger playlist spanning multiple genres.

I've now become acquainted with Jack's brothers, Bob and Chuck.

The other day, Bob played "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred. It's a fun song, and there are some lines about being on the "Cat Walk." Fred is talking about models in the song, but I thought it was funny that I was dancing around on my catamaran to the song, so I downloaded it from itunes. Amy gave me a gift card to itunes, but it's linked to her account, so she got an email receipt when I bought it. The next day, I got an email from her that simply said, "Yes you are."

I was listening to Chuck today as I motored along, and he really rocked. There were even a few songs I'd never heard before. I was jamming to Chuck's playlist, dancing around the cockpit and making a spectacle of myself to the pelicans and dolphins who were accompanying me on my journey. I was running fast with the tide. We were doing 8.5 mph at one point while the engine was running at just enough rpms to give me some steering. At a certain point, the engine died. I'd run out of gas.

This happens often enough. I have an internal fuel tank, but I haven't gotten around to cleaning it so that I can use it. Instead I use five jerry cans which I rotate as they empty.

It's a good thing that I ran out of gas because in my clueless bliss, I had passed my intended anchorage. Changing the gas tank brought me out of this state, and I found that I needed to turn back about a quarter mile.

The pic is some birds I passed when I was listening to Chuck.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh to be a pelican and watch Scott dance around his boat to the song "I'm too Sexy." Now that is a sight to see.
Merry Christmas, Scott!

Rose

NautiG said...

Thanks Rose! Hope you and Fred have a Merry Xmas. And I hope you'll let Fred off his leash so that he can come down and visit this Winter.