Thursday, December 20, 2007

Marinas

Having spent yesterday doing laundry, shopping and cleaning/organizing/fixing the boat, today's post is another in a string of non-sailing posts. I'm at Ashley Marina in Charleston. It's the nicest marina I've ever seen. That's not saying much, seeing as I spend most of my time on the hook (at anchor), and my marina in Baltimore was only a step above a trailer park. But over the years, I have stayed at a few dozen marinas, so I feel I'm a somewhat competent judge.

The marina is a little pricey. Two dollars a foot plus electricity. But I've made full use of their amenities, so it's been more than worth it. Laundry is free. I've done five loads. They have a van service. They chauffeured me to the supermarket and West Marine.

Their bathrooms are impeccable. I'm usually happy if a marina's bathrooms are clean and in decent repair. My marina in Baltimore had a porta-potty. This marina has private stone tiled shower stalls, glass showers and upscale fixtures. I'd add a picture of the bathrooms to this post, but I felt a little weird about bringing a camera into the bathroom.

This wouldn't be a bad place to spend January. Their monthly rates are quite reasonable. And Charleston is an incredibly nice town.

0 comments: