Saturday, December 8, 2007

Waylayed


Plan A is usually to make 20-30 miles and be at a snug anchorage by early afternoon. In the morning, I study the guidebook, charts, online satellite imagery, weather and tides. Plan A works about 50% of the time.

Yesterday, Plan A was derailed by the Figure Eight Island Bridge being closed from 1-4 pm. During the two hour break I jumped in the water very briefly, then paddled to shore to do some clamming and oystering. I wasn't very successful. Although there were a bunch of exposed oyster beds (It was near low tide), all the oysters looked a lot smaller than the ones you see at a restaurant. If anyone has advice on how to clam and oyster down here, I'd appreciate it.

I got to Wrightsville Beach at sunset. The anchorage here is huge and uncrowded (at least this time of year). The weather is nice, and I'm wearing shorts and tevas. The winds are supposed to be calm all week and temps are to reach to 80 F. I've already had two (count 'em. two) back to back nights of restful sleep. I'm looking forward to a nice string of such nights. Already my aching muscles which have been contracted against the cold for a week, are starting to relax and loosen up.

0 comments: