Saturday, December 8, 2007

Bridge Etiquette


There a lot of bridges on the icw. The modern highway bridges have a clearance of about 65 feet. The railroad and older highway bridges open for a sailboat to pass through. Some open at convenience. Most open on a schedule which may be on the hour and/or half. Schedules can be found in the dozier guidebook. When approaching a bridge, you should have your radio tuned to channel 13 (at least in the part of the icw I have passed through. Other areas may tune to other channels).

At all other times, your radio should be tuned to channel 16. I turn my radio on at least an hour before I weigh anchor, and first check the weather channel, and then tune to 16.

As I approach a bridge, I hail the bridge tender. "Such and such bridge, this is south bound sailing vessel Split Decision." The bridge tender will acknowledge. I respond, "Requesting passage during your X:XX am/pm opening."

Usually, s/he will acknowledge in the affirmative, with further instructions. I will respond, "Rodger", and slow my engine and approach slowly so that I will be near the bridge at opening.

Yesterday, that didn't happen. I was informed that the bridge would not be opening on schedule. I anchored off and waited. A little earlier than the newly scheduled opening, we were hailed by the bridge tender to prepare for passage. The other sailboat waiting did not respond. The bridge tender asked me to verbally hail him as I passed his anchorage. I was able to wake the owner from slumber. Good thing, because otherwise he might have spent the night anchored in the channel.

After you pass through the bridge, it is good etiquette to thank the bridge tender for passage.

4 comments:

Rose said...

Scott,
Of course I am the one monitoring your blog for fred and making comments for him since he just does not get computers. I really enjoy reading your travels. In fact, I cut and paste your entire journel into word, made modifications so that it would not be as long, and printed it out for Fred to read. It does not include the comments for each which would be great but the length of the journel was 38 pages and that was modifying it down from 78 pages. With the comments, I am sure it would be over 300 pages.

Anyway, sounds like quite the adventure. Not one I would be able to make right now. What is the tempurature where you are now?

Rose

Rose said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NautiG said...

Rose, thanks for going to all that trouble for poor old Fred. I'm sure the printout is so long because you had to use an extra large font, so that he could read it. I'm sad he won't have the comments. They're my favorite part of the blog.

Scott

Amy said...

Rose- You are a much better woman than I.

Amy