Friday, December 21, 2007

Oh, the Weather Outside is Frightful


But inside it's delightful? Let it rain. Let it rain. Let it rain.

I rarely get seasick, but I felt a bit queasy today when I was folding clothes in the forward berth. And we weren't even going anywhere. We were at anchor in the Charleston harbor. The problem was that the tide runs fast through the anchorage and the wind was coming from a different direction, so those competing forces were spinning the boat at anchor. And the wind was kicking up some gentle swells. Of course with the crappy weather, I had all the hatches closed, so the air inside was a bit stale. I didn't do much all morning but sip Coca Cola.

Between the spinning, rocking and stale air, I didn't feel so hot. Being seasick sucks.

Later, I drove a mile to another anchorage in a creek. I found it at Cruisers' Net. I'd been to this website months ago, but forgot about it. It's now added to the links section of the blog. If I'd come here yesterday, the whole seasick fiasco could have been avoided.

The pic is of a boat hard aground. I took it coming into Charleston. I just thought it was funny. Ok, maybe not so funny to the owner. (There's a fine line separating comedy from drama. Perspective may also play a part.) I could have taken another picture of a small sailboat in the anchorage which had turtled overnight (turtling is when your mast points to the bottom, and your keel to the sky), but I was fighting some wind and waves as I was leaving the tight anchorage and didn't feel confident to multi-task.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oye fufarufu,
Heading up to Murphs for a night of bufoonary. May log in there and say hey.

The one time I got sea sick was crossing one island to the next in the Virgin Islands on our honeymoon. My honey sat next to me and said look at the horizon. Meanwhile, the steel band that was going to play on the island was sitting next to us and I did not want to hurl on their instruments.

All is well here. Have a great christmas. Thinking of you.

Ciao,

Fred

NautiG said...

Hello Mr. Fred,

Glad to see that you figured out how to work a computer. Hope checking the blog doesn't give you a heart attack!

Looking at the horizon isn't going to work. I'm at another anchorage and the boat is again spinning around the anchor. It's not as bad as the other day, especially since there isn't the up and down motion, and I have the hatches open.

Say hi to Murph for me. Maybe I'll break out my guitar and playstaion (both of which are on the boat), and pretend that I'm there with you guys.

Merry xmas,
Scott

Monika said...

Hey
Just wanted you to know – I love your blog! It’s very interesting, I love to read it!
Please visit mine (my everyday glamour) too, maybe we can link up? Take a look at it and leave me sum comments there, I would love to hear your opinion
Hope you’re okay,
Chililady from Austria
PS: sorry for this spamming  and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

NautiG said...

Well Chililady, I'm not sure why a young woman in Austria, whose interests are Kate Moss and Fashion would be interested in this blog. You're not quite the demographic I expected to reach, but I'm glad you you are enjoying the read.

Maybe I'll do a post on sailing clothes and style.

Scott