Monday, December 3, 2007

This'll Give Ya Scurvy


It's another episode of "Cooking with Capt' Scott". In this week's episode we learn what to eat when we're hard aground and can't make it to the grocery store for fresh vittles. Chop up two or more hot dogs. Boil water for mac & cheese. Toss in mac & dogs.

(Tossing in the dogs now will help kill anything that might be growing on the dogs because you don't have refrigeration. Probably nothing is growing because hot dogs are already cooked and full of chemicals. But we're just being safe.)

Finish mac & cheese per instructions on box. Consume. Warning: do not eat this everyday. There is no vitamin C in this meal, and you will get scurvy after a couple months at sea eating nothing but mac & dogs.

7 comments:

Amy said...

There's something else to add to my "worry" list! Scurvy! And whatever you can catch from old hot dogs!

This is truly an adventure for both of us.

Grampa said...

Glad you didn't take Sho-Me with you or catch a cat. One of them may have made it into the stew.

NautiG said...

I've been thinking that if I run across a kitten on this trip, I might bring it aboard. If so, I'd name it Chum.

sandy said...

I don't think your stew looks any worse (or better) than your pre-formed burger patties. Cats are natural swimmers, you probably know, and it would be nice to have something to talk to, or swear to.
Sandy

NautiG said...

I didn't know that about cats. What I have read is, that like humans, some cats get seasick. Also, I'm not sure what kind of hassles there are about bringing cats into the Bahamas. Anyway, I don't think kitten season is until the Spring.

The preformed burger patties are much more delicious, especially with cheese, mayo and fresh toppings. I don't think you would get scurvy either, if you put that stuff on it.

Anonymous said...

I can't help feeling sorry for you and the depths your food choices are going to...

For Fresh vitamins and salads - consider SPROUTS (next time you can shop) - they are easy to make, and will give you a continuous supply of lovely fresh sandwich fillings, salad stuff, etc.. (Use quite a bit of fresh water, so you need to get imaginative if you are low on water).

Here is a really good web site which advises on CHEAP - refrigerator free supplies and recipes for the boat... Worth a look before you go shopping next.
http://cruisenews.net/recipes/

They even have a shopping list

Enjoy

JenG said...

How come no one will say it?!?!

Box mac and cheese with hot dogs is one of my favorite meals!

That said, I'm not sure I could deal with a week or month of it. It sure beats hamburger helper any day!