Monday, December 3, 2007

Status Report


So, I'm at mile 200 of the Intracostal Waterway (icw). Mile 0 was at Norfolk. I hope to spend January at a marina in Florida. That will be at mile 717+. According to the gps, I've been averaging 5.5-6.5 mph while motoring, depending on current and wind, etc. I can comfortably motor up to 30 miles a day. More than that and I get too fatigued. It's sort of like driving a car, although I don't have to keep my hands on the wheel all the time. I can scurry into the galley to make a sandwich.

I think I should easily make Florida by January, but I don't want to be in a rush. The trip is as much about the journey, as it is the destination. I won't be crushed if I end up somewhere in Georgia for January.

The traffic in the cut between mile 190 and 200 was the heaviest yet. Most of it was small boat traffic, so it wasn't all that hairy. Although a couple powerboats got uncomfortably close. I felt like I could reach out and touch their bow. I don't know what their problem was. There was plenty of room in the cut.

Also saw a couple pods of dolphins frolicking in Adams creek. That was pretty cool.

And for those of you waiting for me to finally run hard aground, I've done it, sort of... I guess I came in to this inlet at high tide yesterday. I was planning on motoring the last couple miles to Beaufort this morning. But my "too powerful" engine can't get me out of this muck that we're stuck in as the tide lowers. The tide will start rising again around ten am. Coincidentally, that is when a gale warning goes into effect. Guess I'm stuck here another day.

The picture is me watching football yesterday. It's a little hard to make out the game on the screen. Something about the scan rate of the camera and tv. Reception on the tv was pretty good. It's the first football game I've been able to pick up in the icw. The internet, tv and phone have been pretty sketchy since Alligator River. All that should be a lot better from here on out.

6 comments:

Amy said...

Hmm. Georgia in January doesn't sound quite as nice as Florida, but as long as I know where to find you, I'm happy with it!

NautiG said...

Don't worry, I'd put odds at 90% that it will be Florida. I'm just sayin'... Savannah or Jeckyl island wouldn't be heart breaking.

NautiG said...

And what, no snide remarks about my being hard aground? I'm disappointed in you. You're not on your game today.

Amy said...

I figured I'd let someone else take the easy shot!

(btw, no doubt, Savannah or Jeckyl Island would be great...)

Grampa said...

So what game was it? And who won?

NautiG said...

Carolina and San Fran. Vinnie Testaverde and Trent Dilfer were QBs. Dilfer was with the Ravens when we won the Super Bowl. Testaverde is 44! You thought McNair was old.

Thankfully, I was not able to watch last night's Ravens game. I wasn't even able to read the whole article online about the game. It sounded too heart breaking.