Monday, December 17, 2007

Egg Drop Ramen Soup


I know the picture doesn't look like much, and if I get any comments on this post, they will be ridiculing my cooking. But this soup and a cup of tea are how I start many a cold morning. It's delicious and nutritious. As anyone can tell you, ramen is a salty, yummy, and easy to prepare soup. It just doesn't have much nutritional value. It is an excellent base for adding other stuff like meat or canned vegetables.

A single egg isn't very filling, but it's packed with nutrition. An egg has everything you need except vitamin C (So again, eating this meal, and only this meal for several months at sea, will give you scurvy). When you eat an egg, it's like eating an entire chicken from beak to tail feather. And before you get on your high horse about dietary cholesterol, saturated fat is a much more important factor in determining blood cholesterol. Eating an egg a day isn't going to kill you, like a big juicy steak and a milk shake a day might.

I once got in a heated discussion at a party with a woman about mayonnaise (As my friends and family can tell you, it's sometimes seemingly innocuous things which will set me off, while the ordinary things which start arguments, like politics and religion don't seem to affect me). This woman worked for the Center for Science in the Public Interest. This is a group of busybodies who condemn all sorts of foods as being bad for you. What sticks in my mind is when in the 90s, they got lots publicity for condemning Chinese food. How about just saying that you should eat a varied diet? I don't know anyone who eats Chinese food everyday, except maybe a billion Chinese people, and these people look pretty healthy to me. I don't see a lot of overweight Chinese people.

Anyway, the woman said that around the office they had a saying that "Mayonnaise equals death." In fact, the exact opposite is true. Mayonnaise has every vitamin and mineral you need, including vitamin C. And besides, mayonnaise is a freakin condiment. I don't know anyone who sits down with a spoon and a big jar of mayonnaise and eats the whole thing, like some people do with a pint of Ben & Jerry's. Mayonnaise, spread on a sandwich adds a lot of flavor and nutrition to that sandwich.

So that's my rant. Fire away in the comments section. Oh, and the recipe. Cook the ramen per instructions on package. Beat an egg. Slowly pour the egg into ramen while stirring the soup. The speed with which you stir the soup will determine the consistency of the egg. I'm not too particular.

11 comments:

Amy said...

This is why I sent you off with a jar of mayo packets. Yes, indeed, I know how to look after my man.

Unknown said...

I like raman. I am partial to the teryiaki flavor. There is actually an entire cookbook devoted to meals that can be made from raman. I don't have this book though. In my quest to be an adult, I limit my intake of raman to a few packages a year.

The Ravens lost to Miami yesterday. That is all I am going to say about that. [The Steeler's are currently tied with the Brownies - the Browns might actually make the playoffs. What is this world coming to I ask you?]

Its good to continue to hear that you are still alive. Good luck with the sailing. And have fun too!

NautiG said...

Hey Brianna,

Glad to have you aboard again! When I bought this boat and started the blog, I thought it was all about sailing. Somehow the sailing has turned into motoring, and the blog has turned into a discussion of cooking and football.

I hope to wrestle the boat and blog back to sailing when I'm at rest in January.

Go Ravens?

Scott

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott -
Sorry to read about your anchor dragging.

Anchoring is one of those topics that sailors can discuss endlessly. None-the-less I'll pass along my 2 cents.

I came to believe that it's best to have one extra good anchor with as much chain as you can manage. I'd always drop the anchor and let the prevaling wind/currents drift me back as I paid out the rode. After I'd let out about 40 feet (when anchoring in waters typically around 15 feet) and then I'd tie it off and put the engine in reverse and run the RPM's up to about 1/2 my typical cruising RPM.

I wouldn't be in a hurry to complete this test because I figured that if there were going to be any holding difficulties then I wanted to learn about them at the beginning so I could pick another nearby spot.

Occasionally I'd find that the holding ground was terrible and would have to move some distance away - but this was rare. I did however have may instances in which the intitial test failed but subsquent attempts were successful. I assume that in these cases the anchor had simply failed to dig in.

After it passed the 'reverse engine' test then I'd let out another 20 or 30 feet of rode. This was my added insurance.

Anyway, in using this technique I never had my anchor drag.

Of course, like I mentioned above, a lot of it was probably due to carrying an atypically large anchor for my size boat. I reasoned that since everything was dependent on this one device that an extra 15 pounds of weight to haul up was a small price to pay for the added security.

BTW - glad that you liked Wrightsville. I know what you mean about some of the people being jerks. I spent a lot of time there before it began morphing into its current configuration. It used to be a real low-key type place but then property values started rising and one after another small cottage-like beach houses were torn down and replaced with huge McMansions and everyone now drives a gigantic SUV or truck. Progress! Ha.

Hope you're surviving this spell of cold weather. I guess it's the Yang to all the warm stuff from last week.

Ross

Unknown said...

If the blog was only about sailing, I wouldn't have anything to contribute. I can count the number of times I have been on a boat on one hand. The most notable voyage was to Staten Island and back (I am sure that is nothing to really boast about here).

So, you can steer the conversation back to boats, but I'll just keep posting about football ;)

And yes, I do realize I spelled the word ramen wrong throughout my previous post. What kind of academic am I?

Grampa said...

Ok about the raman, mayo, and eggs. I think I may have learned something. But what about getting off your grounding and progress today?

Grampa said...

PS: when you see anything like center for science in the public interest, you can be pretty sure they aren't scientists.

NautiG said...

This post has a very high proportion of scientists commenting on it. If Ross is a scientist, I may be the only non-scientist. Although, I did break out my microscope yesterday and take a water sample.

I did get ungrounded. I should make Charleston today.

Brianna, I'm not complaining about the content of your comments (or your spelling). I'm complaining that because of my broken rudder, I can't post about sailing. And yesterday, I couldn't even post about motoring because I was aground watching football.

NautiG said...

Ross, I like the idea about putting the boat into reverse after anchoring. I'll have to try that.

I think it's not so much that the people in Wrightsville are jerks, as I've gotten used to people on the water being so nice. The latest example is the guy at the marina where I got gas in McClellandville. I think his name was Duane and the marina "Devil's Den." Anyway, he insisted on giving me a ride to the convenience store, even though I told him I had my bicycle.
Scott

NautiG said...

Anon,

Glad you enjoy the site! I don't post as often because I no longer live on the boat, but I do still sail on the Chesapeake and try to keep the blog going with posts about the boat and my sailing adventures.

If you enjoy the blog, you can buy the book! It's available on Amazon for about $15. I don't make any money off it, but it gives me pleasure when someone buys it. Of course you can read the pdf of the book for free. If the whole kindle, digital book thing takes off, maybe I'll make it available there too.

I'm curious what you searched for on google where my blog came up in the results?

Scott

Anonymous said...

The writer of nautib.blogspot.com has written a superior article. I got your point and there is nothing to argue about. It is like the following universal truth that you can not disagree with: Sometimes the difference between ACK and NACK can seem to be the N of the world I will be back.