Friday, December 28, 2007

Seashells by the Seashore


Found these shells on my morning run. I haven't been running since my post about the pirate ship in Baltimore. Feels good to stretch my legs. I'll bet I'll be achy tomorrow though.

I've met a few of my dockmates, including Einstein the cat who lives next door, and Sasha the dog who lives two boats down.

I haven't figured this place out yet. In the resort complex are a Marriot, Hilton and Disney enclave. There are also three golf courses, a tennis complex and a bunch of condo and housing complexes. Some of the areas are clearly public. Other areas have signs that say "Members and Guests only", and others are gated with combination locks. I don't know which areas I as a guest of the marina am allowed in. Am I permitted to use the facilities at the Marriot, or the pool at one of the condo complexes? I'll let you know when I get tossed out of one of these places.

I'm getting readjusted to life on land (re-socialized?). Marina life is much different from life on the hook (at anchor). Now I have to be considerate of others and not play my music too loud or knock about the boat too early in the morning.

There are some benefits like dependable utilities. I do have a post percolating in my head about power and electricity for the boat.

9 comments:

Grampa said...

How would you like to have Bella, Bubba, Wookie, Sho-Me, Shock-in-awe, Odin, Baldur, Skadi, and Squeeler as boat-mates. I'm sure they would enjoy meeting Einstein and Sasha.

Looks like you are going first class. I was there years ago, but that was paid for by Uncle Sam. Enjoy.

NautiG said...

Muffs and I will be Wintering in Hilton Head and Summering in Martha's Vineyard this year (no joke). I don't know how we'll manage.

sandy said...

And all with no rudder and a bent anchor.
I was in Hilton Head and it is beautiful--a perfect spot for January. Also, have friends in MV, so when you go, let us know.
Happy New Year to you both. Where will Amy be next year?
Sandy

Amy said...

Hey Sandy-

Looks like the Captain and I will be setting up near Richmond next year! And we hope to have room for guests...

NautiG said...

Friends of Amy's are getting married in Martha's Vineyard next Summer. I'm not sure when. We're going to sail up. And I'll likely bum around the coast of New England for a month or two.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,

Happy holidays! Fred wanted to know when you plan to sail from Florida to the Bahamas?

Rose

NautiG said...

Rose, tell Fred that the only thing I can guarantee is that I will be leaving Hilton Head at the end of January. If he wanted to do some sailing/motoring then(depending on whether the rudder situation is resolved), I could pick him up in Savannah or perhaps a little later in Jacksonville.

Otherwise, things are still up in the air.

Anonymous said...

Scott,
I think he is going to wait until you have a better idea of your schedule and the condition of the boat. What date is Amy joining you and for how long?

Rose

NautiG said...

Amy's joining me next week. The report that I can give you now about the condition of the boat and my schedule is probably just about as good as it gets. The boat will be in a lot better condition after a month at a marina than it is now.

I've gone about 600 miles from Baltimore. The Bahamas are about another 600 miles away. I don't know that I have it in me to go that far, especially if I've got to return that distance and more to go to New England this Summer. I also have the move to Richmond on my plate, as well as a few other things.

And as I've learned, adhering to a fixed schedule on the sea is a bad idea. The weather and equipment failures often dictate the itinerary.