Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Worry List


Amy blogs again!

I'm looking forward to Amy's future post about Christmas in NYC. We walked Manhattan at Christmas time last year. Checked out Macy's, FAO Schwartz, etc. It was really pretty, despite the cold. And now Amy has a new camera. Her future Christmas post may be a little off topic, but it will remind me of xmas past.

And now, Professor Amy:


I am normally a bit of a worrier, and I come by it honestly. Whenever I would tell my mom about what I was up to, or thinking about getting up to, she would shake her head and call me by her pet name for me. These days, I find myself sitting in my warm, dry, office on land, reading this blog, shaking my head and thinking, "Oh, Scott."

Certainly, part of the problem is my lack of boating experience (addressed in my previous guest blog). Most of what I know about boating comes from movies involving some sort of man versus nature plotline. Movies like "The Perfect Storm," and "Titanic." Let me know when someone makes a movie about a calm and happy sailing trip down the ICW, and I'll be the first in line to see it.

Those of you who know Cap'n Scott, and his adventures in ingenuity, may also understand why I worry. This is the man who made eggnog by fashioning an egg beater out of a wisk and a power drill. (The nog was delicious, by the way.) And he dreams of making his own pressure-fryer to make the most succulent fried chicken. I think I'm speaking for others as well when I say that we're a little surprised that he hasn't blown himself up yet.

I've joked with Scott that he needs to add "Amy's Worry List" as an additional side bar on his blog. This list would be a tribute to the many times when reading his blog makes my stomach clench (and occasionally turn, as in the "cooking with Scott" feature). At present, this list includes: tugboats, small craft warnings, scurvy, Southern belles, and everything on his "Lost to the sea" sidebar list.

More to come, I'm sure.

8 comments:

NautiG said...

I don't know of any movies like my trip. I can think of two books which might be good analogues: Huck Finn and The Odyssey. Two picaresque tales. I might have to pick those up again.

For some reason, I've never made it passed the part in Huck Finn where he happens upon the feuding clans. Maybe I'll have to start there and see how much further I can get this time.

Unlike Odysseus, I have gps and good charts, so I pretty much know where I am most of the time.

Farewell my Penelope!

Amy said...

Stay away from the sirens!

I have plans to go to Manhattan with my camera on Friday afternoon - I'm hoping for good weather...

NautiG said...

If I encounter any sirens, I will lash myself to the mast.

Amy said...

Is that a euphemism?

sandy said...

You guys. You need an anchorage,soon.
Sandy

Grampa said...

Cap'n Scott always comes through. Be happy, don't worry.

NautiG said...

Sandy, Unfortunately Amy has this pesky thing call a job. I don't really understand it, but Amy claims lots of people have one. Apparently, it's something that they do during the day instead of sailing.

Amy doesn't have to do the job thing in January, so we'll find an anchorage then. Until then, I suffer in (somewhat) silence.

Amy said...

Sandy - I like that euphemism even better!

Scott - you kill me.