Thursday, December 13, 2007

Temporary Rudder


It usually takes me three tries to get some sort of repair or home improvement project done right. The first attempt is often a total disaster which I chalk up as a learning experience. On the second attempt, I usually come up with a product, which if I'm not too fussy, I can live with. The third try is usually the charm.

I'll call this temporary rudder the second attempt rudder. The plan was to build some sort of temporary housing for the mahogany board. After I had bought the lumber and was thinking about how the board would fit, I realized that the board was unnecessary. Instead of buying these pieces of wood and connecting them together, I should have bought a single piece of 2x10. Then I would screw in a half dozen eye bolts which would connect it to the steel rod that it pivots on.

Andy, another Gemini owner who is replacing his rudder cages, has offered me his old cages. I should get them in January when I'm at a marina in Florida. But I think I'll also make another temporary rudder out of a single board and keep it on the boat. If a rudder busts again, I'll have a temporary rudder which I can pop in.

4 comments:

sandy said...

Hi Scott,
The rudder may not have been great, but the picture was really good. And, you are not here in cold, rainy, almost sleet MD.
Sandy

NautiG said...

Hey Sandy,

Sitting here barefoot, in shorts and t-shirt, cooking up a huge slab of meat on the grill and listening to tunes.

I am in Georgetown, SC. It's a really cute little town. Wish you were here.

Scott

Peter, Howick said...

From a Gemini owner situated in Auckland, New Zealand- take heart, your blog has many readers even though few comment. It is one of the most pleasant, informative and interesting reads I have found. Your ingenuity is achieving good things and I have no doubt in the ultimte success of your voyage, one we are pleased to share through your narrative. Best wishes. Peter

NautiG said...

Thanks Peter. I appreciate the positive feedback. Hope all is well in Auckland.