Thursday, November 29, 2007

Great Expectations

Belhaven, and the River Forest Marina had come highly recommended to me. Peter had nice things to say about it. The guide book had nice things to say about it. And the marina had a full page ad in the guidebook touting it's amenities. I thought I would be relaxing in a jacuzzi, playing tennis (my racket is on the boat), and eating dinner at an extravagant smorgasbord in a Grand Southern Mansion.

I did none of these things.

I don't want to dissuade you from coming here. It is nice enough. But it's nothing to write home about. The best thing was the golf carts at the marina. You can ride them about town and to the freeway bypass where there is a grocery store, strip mall, and a couple dollar stores.

The town and marina have seen better days. Everything is just a little run down. It is not without charm. You will easily find most things you need. It just wasn't the treat I was expecting.

On a brighter note, my anchor supply is replenished. And I have a lead on new rudders.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I think this just underscores your need to fashion some sort of jacuzzi in the cockpit of your boat.

NautiG said...

I know you've heard of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. When I saw it in high school, it was represented as stairs. Well, I feel like I've been pushed down the stairs. The jacuzzi stair is way beyond my reach, at this point. But I'm sure I will get there.

sandy said...

Actually, Scott, I think you need Amy in the cockpit of your boat.
Happy sailing/motoring.
Sandy

NautiG said...

Amy's going to visit me in January. You should congratulate her on her new job. Don't worry, we'll be an easy sail to Fells Point!

NautiG said...

Oh, and if you stop in Belhaven, you have to eat at Farmer Boys(?). It's nothing more than a little take out joint in the middle of town. Get the BBQ with cole slaw and extra hot sauce (It was a little dry). I also got the corn balls, which appeared to be creamed corn, somehow breaded and fried. The food is incredibly cheap and yummy, and the people are incredibly nice. If I had aspirations of being a fast food mogul, I would take their formula, tweak it, and run everyone else out of business.

Amy said...

I just noticed your "lost to the sea gods" side bar. I love it.

How'd you lose the plastic adirondack chair?

NautiG said...

I left it on the foredeck one windy night. In the morning, it was gone.