Friday, November 16, 2007

Feels Like Home


Spent the day in Portsmouth. I would recommend stopping here. The people are incredibly nice and helpful.I feel like I've been adopted by them as a mascot, or maybe a little brother. There are two boat basins. Tie up at the second one you encounter which is the High Street Landing. The other basin is two blocks North, and you can tie up there too. The High Street Basin has a coffee kiosk. This appears to be the meeting place for boating folks and townspeople. Betsy is the owner. She and Ben kept a sharp eye on the boat while I was out and about trying to get things fixed. I got a call from her when there was a problem with my dock lines.

The basins have signs prohibiting overnight stays. Apparently this is not enforced. The signs are there to discourage folks who think about setting up permanent residence in the basins. Also, maybe to placate the local marina owners. I'd actually prefer to stay overnight at the anchorage just North. The basin is a little bouncy with all the boat traffic, and the ferry toots it's horn as it leaves the basin. I also, in general, prefer to be at anchor.

Had dinner at the Bier Garden, a couple blocks over from the basin, on High Street. The food and beer were yummy, even if the service was a little lackluster. I was served a beer which while good, was definitely not the Pale Ale I requested. The shops on High Street peter out after a few blocks, but from their store fronts, they look eclectic and interesting. I hope I get a chance to check them out before I leave.

A big shout out and thanks to Maryanne who reads my blog, and with her husband Kyle owns another Gemini. It's brand new and pretty sweet looking. Maryanne sewed my bimini back together. Also Peter and Mike are helping me with my rudder. And another Mike helped me with my dock lines. The picture is of the little tugboat which Peter and Mike are building from scratch.

3 comments:

Grampa said...

Your track looks like that of a drunken sailor. I'm going to have to visit those places you describe sometime. Glad to see you are getting help repairing your boat. I didn't think fishtailing the way down the ICW is the way to go.

sandy said...

Listen to Grandpa!
Sandy

NautiG said...

Actually, the fishtailing won't show up on the chart. It's too small a deviation. The drunken sailor appearance is because either I had to go around some buoys or through a tight channel, or I went into the cabin to take care of something and when I came back to the helm, I had to correct the course.