Friday, November 23, 2007

Boyfriend Tracker 1.1 Released


This post was written yesterday, but delayed until BFT 1.1 was ready. Please let me know of additional bugs that need to be fixed. Beautiful moon last night.

I told Amy before I left that she would be able to track my trip progress on NautiG. It'd be like she had a lowjack on me! Unfortunately, with all the adventures I've been having, I haven't had time to work out the bugs in BFT 1.0. While at anchor here, I've had some time, and I've worked out most of the major bugs. If you go to NautiG, and press the "Track" menu button, my day's course will be displayed on the map. Use the forward and back buttons to progress through the trip. There is some missing data. Sorry. If you see a straight line, that is a period when my gps was off for some reason. Probably my vista laptop had crashed.

At the risk of worrying some, and confirming to others their suspicions that I am indeed a moron, I'm going to tell you anyway... I've lost two anchors to the sea gods in a span of less than twelve hours. Fortunately, I had three anchors aboard, but I'm down to a pathetic little thing that grandpa had in his garage. It seems to be holding, and the winds are supposed to calm over the course of the day. And before you get your panties all up in a bunch, there is a plan B,C and D etc... I'm in an inlet, not out at sea.

I don't know why these things keeps happening. I never lost an anchor when I had the Pearson. Now, for those of you keeping score at home, I've lost three anchors in the course of about a month.

Last night there were gale warnings. I moved the boat just behind a grove of trees on shore that was blocking the wind. At about 11 pm I was awoken by the wind. It's direction had flipped 180 degrees, and was howling. It didn't stop all night. Needless to say, I did not sleep well.

When I weighed anchor this morning, the secondary anchor was missing. The line and anchor "poof" disappeared. I only tossed it out as a safety, in case the primary failed. It had plenty of slack line, and little if any tension should have been put on it over the night. It was connected to a cleat with a standard hitch.

I motored over to a quieter anchorage this morning. After a few minutes at anchor here, I noticed that I was drifting. I weighed anchor, but there was no anchor to weigh.

I can't say that I wasn't warned about the anchors. I think it was Maryanne who told me that I should have two connections to each anchor. I guess I'm just a slow learner. Off to the anchor store tomorrow, once the weather calms down. I'll make sure to have two connections to each new anchor, and check them every time I use them.

10 comments:

Amy said...

If I may quote you from your own blog comments, Nov 19:

"The most important safety features on a car are it's steering and brakes. On a boat, the analogous systems are the rudders and anchors."

Hmm. And how are we doing on those features?

BFT 1.1 is really cool.

NautiG said...

The boat is in need of a brake job.

Anonymous said...

WOW! THe anchor just vanished, line and all..??? that is quite worrisome.... I can't imagine it untied itself, and it is hard to imagine someone came and untied it for you.. Don't know that I can solve that problem, but here is what we do on Footprint

1) Anchor is connected to the boat using a bridle - so actually at 3 cleats.
2) All shackle pins are protected from working lose with cable ties (most people use seizing wire)
3) We also have a trip line attached to the anchor - so if the anchor did get separated from the boat, we can find and recover it (small nylon line with a float - attached directly to the anchor crown). Although sometimes ours sinks - we need better floats!
4) The main anchor line, as well as being cleated is also shackeled to the boat at the boat end, to a pad eye in the anchor locker
4) We always mark on the GPS the spot we drop the anchor (in case we ever have to recover)..

We did lose 2 anchors at one time, and spent hours trawling the area to recover them. not a pleasant experiece, but in this case with a lucky outcome - if you are still in the area - trying to "Find" your old anchor (drag a grapnel or some such thing around - see if you can catch the old anchor line and pull it up) - will be easier and less trouble and cheaper than finding and buying some new ones...

Thanks goodness for spare anchors...

older salty said...

Hey Cap-i-tan,
Sorry this is the first time I got back to you but M A lost your blog add. and I just found it.
So much for the lash job on the rudder case. Hope your gettin warmer weather cause it was 26 deg. this morning.
I read your loosing lbs. maybe when your back this way you'll want some fresh Venison - yes I got a 150lb. buck today on the opener. send me your e-mail add. as the web demon didn't like the one I had.
See Ya older salty by 10

NautiG said...

Will do, Old Salty. Congratulations on the deer. You'd enjoy yourself down here. Plenty of duck hunters blasting away to their heart's content. At times, it sounds like a war is going on.

Have you seen all the help Maryanne's been giving me on this trip, including some good advice on anchors? You didn't know she was such an accomplished sailor, did you? Oh wait, that's a different MA. Say hi to yours for me.

Younger Salty

older salty said...

L-Cap-i-tan
How's it draggin O ye you left them behind..........Sorry
I'm glad you fix the engine with the special plumbing part now this doesn't make it a s__ty Motor.
Funnin aside Hope you find some food soon. Maybe you can find a oyster bar and dig some up.
Work still sucks
Keep some wind in your sails
Anchors on your Line
Friends along the way
and a blog mess. a day

see ya - older salty by 10

NautiG said...

Hey OS,

I'm probably going to spend the night at a marina Peter recommended. It is the week or more that I usually space my marina stays, but this one looks too enticing to pass over. A southern style smorgasboard in an old mansion, hot tub and tennis. I do have my racket with me. Hopefully, I can find a partner. Too bad MA isn't here.

YS

NautiG said...

Corrected:

It isn't the week...

older salty said...

Hi,
We have enjoyed reading your adventures almost daily. Thoroughly impressed w/your story telling: concise, humorous, & readable. Hope to connect with you & Amy in Jan. (I have time off as well) Please let us know the details as soon as you know them.
I beleive the Nautigal gods are with you!

See you soon,MAc Salty but NOT old yet

NautiG said...

Thanks! I'm just waiting for OS to hijack my blog, the way he hijacks my songs when I'm strumming the guitar around the campfire ;)

Will let you know the plan for January when it gets fleshed out. It would be great to have you guys visit.