Tuesday, November 6, 2007

More Adventures!

The days seem to be alternating between hair raising adventures and recuperative days. Today seems destined to be an adventure day. It started at 2:30 am with a thud. A 45 foot monohull had broken free of it's anchor and was blown into me. The young couple seemed a little distraught about the situation. The husband wanted to start up the engine and motor off of me, but I dissuaded him of that notion, seeing as how my anchor line looked like it was pinned to his rudder. Instead, he took one of his anchors out in his dingy and set it. He tried to pull himself off with the new anchor, but went nowhere. Finally, I had the bright idea to set another anchor for my boat. I then let my original anchor line free and drifted off him. Unfortunately, as I drifted off, the original anchor line drifted off as well. It was indeed wrapped around their rudder. And had been pinning us together.

So anyway, at least I know that my anchor can hold both my boat and a 45 foot monohull in some wind. The bad news is that my anchor is now attached to another sailboat.

3 comments:

Amy said...

If you keep going through anchors like this, I'm gonna have to buy myself some stock.

NautiG said...

I have my anchor back now. I couldn't be mad at the couple, seeing as how I slipped my anchor a few weeks ago. The difference was that I didn't run into anybody and wake them up in the middle of the night. If I had, there would have been an endless stream of apologies, and I would have bought the guy a case of beer.

I have not heard anything from the couple approaching an apology. That I am a little miffed about.

Amy said...

Indeed. Isn't that part of the "code of the sea"?