Monday, November 19, 2007

Great Bridge Lock

Entering the lock

In the lock

Sailboat follows in

Everyone in

Facing forward

Out of the lock, bridge just beyond

Let the tug pass first


The lock was fun, but I'm not sure of it's purpose. It only raised us a few inches, if anything. Maybe it does more under different weather conditions. There is a drought now. The Dismal Swamp route is closed. It's supposed to be a prettier route. I'm on the Virginia Cut.

The lock tenders call you Cap'n, which is fun. "Cap'n tie up here. Cap'n start your engine." You can tie up beyond the lock, before or after the bridge. The road over the bridge is lined with ugly strip malls. Lots of chain stores and restaurants within easy walking distance. I had lunch at Wendy's. The 99 cent cheeseburger deluxe is delicious. There were actually real, identifiable vegetables as toppings, unlike McDonald's. I don't know why I always go to McDonald's. The fries were underwhelming, though.

Spent the day starting and stopping while waiting for bridges which only open hourly. At the second to last bridge, there was a guy in a sailboat waving to me. I wasn't sure why he was waving, but it clicked in my head later that it might be Ron, a guy from my marina in Baltimore who is making the trip. I had heard a call on the radio earlier to a sailboat Gypsy. Gypsy is a boat owned by a young couple from Maryland, also making the trip. But I've already encountered a few boats named Gypsy.

Sure enough, at the last bridge, the couple pulled up (my boat is pretty fast under motor, and I got to the bridges more quickly than others). Everyone switched to another channel and we caught up on recent goings ons, and made dinner plans. Dinner was delicious. Indian curry and basmati rice. But the couple is hard aground about 50 yards off my stern. I think it's my fault. I got to the anchorage first and saw that the depths weren't great. I was going to call them, but they got here quicker than I expected. They draw six feet. I recommend to anyone doing this trip, to do so in a shoal draft boat.

I tried to pull them off last night. I've already forgotten what a pain in the ass it is to be aground in a monohull. My depth meter often goes to zero, or just registers nonsense, when I'm in an anchorage. At first, I thought the meter wasn't working correctly. But I've been in some clear water, and I can look down and see the bottom, and a thin line which my centerboards are carving through the mud. I could drive this boat in a puddle, and not get stuck. Anyway, we'll try again this morning. We'll tie a line to their mast, and see if I can't heel them over and pull them off.

7 comments:

sandy said...

Still enjoying your trip from the comforts of home. I do empathize with Amy's horror at some of your ordeals by wind, gas tanks, etc. Posting a comment is not a one step procedure it seems. Almost every time I have to log on as a new user and decipher their strange "spellings" of non words. Your pictures were lovely of going through the lock.
Sandy

NautiG said...

Amy will be relieved to hear that I had a loooong boooooring morning of motoring across Currituck Sound.

Let me see if I can make commenting easier. I hope everyone enjoys my posts, but the part of the blog I enjoy the most is the comments. The blog is hosted for free by google, and I do make a few duckets when someone clicks on an ad. So I don't know that I'm going to switch to a different blog service, unless someone has a a really good suggestion for one.

I don't think I can do anything about the sign in procedure. If it's a hassle, I'd just post anonymously, and sign my name in the text of the comment.

I thought I had gotten rid of the word verification thing, but maybe google reinstated it after I got my first spam comment. Let me see if I can reset it back to no word verification

Grampa said...

The elevation difference that the lock achieves is a function of the tide. Maybe you entered at low tide. A few inches would make a whole lot of water flowing out, considering the area that is elevated.

Did you get the other sailboat off the mud?

NautiG said...

Yep. Heeled it over. I'll write about it tomorrow.

There are no tides on the Elizabeth river or canal. No current either. It's still a mystery to me. Maybe a pork project?

Anonymous said...

Good to see you are heading south sucessfully to warmer places.

My ICW guide says that the Great Bridge lock is a 2.7' drop/rise at max. So i guess the drought has impacted to some extent. Also the Elizabeth river does indeed have a tide - once you are behind that first lock you are clear of all that.. So Grampa could be right. A lot of folks "run" to the other side of the lock in the event of a hurricane to protect them from any tidal surge.

Feel free to contact me and Kyle directly if we can help with anything... Maryanne (at) Yahoo dot co dot uk

Good luck with your travels, and I hope you find safe warm water SOON!

Amy said...

If you have a google/gmail account the system automatically identifies you, with no word verification necessary.

NautiG said...

Maryanne, your explanation sounds plausible. Thanks again for all your help. The bimini looks awesome! Hope you and Kyle get out to sea again, soon.

Scott