Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Mapping Woes



This is where I anchored in Solomon's the other night. Google maps thinks I was anchored on land. I've been let down by internet mapping the past few days (see my earlier post about Walmart). Also tried to anchor in a well marked creek, both on the charts and with daymarks and a sea wall in real life. A fisherman on his way in at the same time stopped and warned me that there were no depths in the creek. I told him that was ok, because I only drew 18 inches. However, as I was half way down the channel entrance, I ran aground. I decided the best course of action would be to reverse and find somewhere else to anchor for the night.

I've had a mixed bag of anchorages so far. I need to figure out what makes a good anchorage. Halyards banging and bouncing up and down do not make for a good night's sleep. When I figure it out, I'll let you know. I think it will have something to do with getting as far up a creek as I can and surrounding myself with tall trees.

4 comments:

sandy said...

Just caught up on your adventures. It all sounds harrowing and fun at the same time.
Sandy

NautiG said...

Today's harrowing adventures will be recounted in tomorrow's blog entry. Safely tucked in for the night now. Thanks for checking out my blog, Sandy. Hope everything's well in Baltimore!

Peter, Howick said...

Hi,
I'm following your entries with interest. I'm also a Gemini owner (#616,1998 build)located in New Zealand. Take care and be conservative- experience will be your best teacher. Try to enter or check your anchorage at low tide if you can- this way you'll ensure to float for a restful night.

NautiG said...

Hey Peter,
Glad to have you aboard! I don't know what the tides are like in New Zealand, but on the Chesapeake, the tides aren't that extreme, and the bottom is mostly mud. I was in a really tight creek last night, and I just backed up to the shore until I slid into the muck. I slept like a baby. This morning I was floating free, so I must have come in on low tide.

Scott