Thursday, November 29, 2007

Drivin that Train, High on Cocaine


The first twenty miles or so of my journey yesterday were in a ditch. There is nowhere to anchor in this ditch, until you reach mile 120. The ditch opens up a little there, and there are some private piers. Even there, I wouldn't anchor, unless it's an emergency. The charts show a small inlet before that, and the guidebook mentions it as a tight anchorage. I don't know how you could get anything more than a dingy or skiff into that inlet.

The drive down the ditch was uneventful except... early on a tug passed. I tried to get off to the side to let him pass. When I passed into his wake, and back into the center, my steering was seriously degraded. I checked the centerboards. They had been pushed up into the hull. They could have been pushed up by a shoal while I was off to the side, but I actually think the tug's wake pushed them up. The wake didn't look like much on the surface. There were no waves. It mas just a lot of swirls behind. But I bet it's prop was putting off a lot of force underwater.

The wind picked up over the course of the day. It was at my back, and I was tempted to put up a sail. You'll be happy to know that I waited until I was out of the ditch to do so. I motor-sailed another 5-10 miles to Belhaven.

My gas worries were unfounded. Maybe I had been leaking a lot of fuel from the fuel bowl. Maybe putting up a sail really helped. All I know is that the engine sipped gas compared to it's past fuel consumption. That's great, because I spent about $100 on fuel at the Alligator River Marina. I don't do a lot of driving on land, so I'm not used to dropping a c note at the pump. Nice to know that I won't have to do that on a daily basis.

The shore along the ditch was mostly undeveloped. But even there you can't escape the billboards.

4 comments:

Paul said...

regarding the tug and it's wake - I sailed my Ocean Winds 33 from Galveston, TX to Gulfport, MS in 2004. I was in the ditch the whole way and had to deal with those tugs constantly. It's their counter-rotating props that cause the tubulence. You should try going through a lock right behind one! Almost no steerage, we were almost spun 180 degrees before we could get out of his prop wash. Also, we got where we tell when one was coming from a quarter mile away. That's when the pressure wave from his bow would reach us!
Paul

NautiG said...

Hey Paul. I'll try to stay as far away from tugboats as I can! Scott

Anonymous said...

Until you realize your dream of becoming a tugboat captain, of course!

Amy said...

(whoops, that was me)