Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Cooking with Capt' Scott


I'm out of fresh food. I was going to resupply while getting gas in the Outer Banks. But as you remember, I got a ride from a passerby to the gas station and back. I did not want to impose on the guy's generosity by asking him to wait while I went grocery shopping. I figured I would be able to stock up at the Alligator Marina. I was wrong. Although they had the space and refrigeration to stock fresh food, they did not. All they had was an array of sodas and beer, as well as canned and prepared foods. They did have a stack of eggs in the grill display case, but they would not sell any of them to me.

Note to convenience store owners: you might want to visit a 7-11, or other national chain. I'm sure those guys have done extensive market research to decide what to stock in their stores to maximize profit. You can piggyback on this research for free by just looking at what they stock, and copying it in your store.

So anyway, I'm out of eggs, sandwich meat, cheese, etc. This morning I made a "One Pot Scott" special. Open a couple cans of vegetables. Heat the contents of the cans, including broth to boiling. Turn off heat. Add vegetable oil and dried milk. Stir in instant potatoes until desired consistency is obtained. Add seasoning to taste.

You can measure the ingredients if you want. I'm too lazy.

3 comments:

Grampa said...

And here's a guy who ran an organic vegetable farm for several years. You got to feel his pain.

But, you could have pulled the dandylions and made dandylion salad (or with a little more effort and time, made dandylion wine)!

Amy said...

I don't know - sounds delish to me! Of course, I'd have to put some gravy on it.

NautiG said...

It was yummy. I wouldn't go so far as to call it delicious. The problem is, that other than some pickled okra, that was just about all I ate yesterday.

Having burned all the fat from my body, I'm now eating a tremendous amount of food. At least by my standards. I used to be the king of "half a sandwich". I'd make a whole sandwich, eat half of it, and save the other half for later. These days, I've been eating up to three sandwiches in the morning before a lot of people have breakfast.

This morning I had my famous egg drop ramen soup, sans egg. I get ornery when there are no animal products in my diet. You wouldn't want to be on the boat with me right now.