Sunday, November 25, 2007

The Repairs Continue


I think I mentioned in an earlier post that the swim ladder had partially torn away from the hull. On the left of the picture are the nuts, bolts and washers which held one of the two swim ladder brackets to the hull. Even I, as a layman, can see that this is pretty pathetic hardware. I think the only reason this didn't break years ago, is simply that this boat rarely, if ever left the dock.

On the right is the mending strap with which I reinforced the hardware on the inside of the hull. I have a whole box of these things which I thought I might use to repair the rudder. Instead, I think I'm going to be using them throughout the boat. When I was in the hull doing the repair, I noticed lots more of these bolts coming through the hull. Apparently, just about everything connected to the boat is connected with similar sized bolts. INCLUDING THE MAST STAYS! The rudder breaking was about as much excitement as I can take. How exciting would it be if I were dismasted in a storm. I don't know what the folks at PCI were smoking in the 80s when this boat was built, but it must have been the stickiest of the icky wicky.

I'm leaving the beach this morning to head down the Alligator river. Verizon's coverage looks spotty and slow in this area. If you don't hear much from me the next few days, don't worry, I'm fine. No, I have not been eaten by an alligator. While I motor across the remaining part of Albemarle sound in what, according to the NWS, are to be five knot winds, I'll be thanking God that I'm not nearly as much of an asshat as this clown

4 comments:

NautiG said...

Hey, I'm safely tucked into a creek off the mouth of the Alligator river. The interwebs are incredibly sloooow here. For some reason, the web barely works, but my email client has choked on something. There are messages to download, but it won't get them. I'm heading over to a marina tomorrow morning for fuel, etc. Hopefully, there will be wifi there. That's the last marina for 50 miles. I'll keep writing, but you may not hear much from me for the next few days.

Scott

Grampa said...

Go Gators (and Lions)!

Peter Y. said...

Scott,
At the risk of being overbearing I'll offer the following:
If you stop for fuel at the Alligator River Marina (Mile Marker 85.4)as your blog indicates you will find it to be not much more than a truck stop. They have clean bathrooms, fuel, and a simple restaurant. There's nothing else for miles and miles. It's really quiet at night and you get a fantastic view of the stars since there are no city lights to compete with the stars.
Some guidebooks talk of an anchorage at about MM 104.8 and you would probably be OK with your shallow draft but I never trusted it in my boat. It looked too exposed for my comfort level. OTOH, once you enter the Alligator Cut at MM 105 you are committed for the next 20 miles of the ditch. There is no place to stop in the ditch and the traffic is constant this time of year.
There is a good anchorage at MM 127, just as you exit the Alligator cut it is on the north side of the Pungo River. The anchorage is quiet and protected. Belhaven is at MM 135 and there is a small marina with fixed docks, fuel, and a nice restaurant. The restaurant was once the summer home of someone with tons of money and it shows! You should treat yourself to a meal or at least a drink there just for fun. You can walk about 6 blocks to town but don't expect much. The downtown has seen better days. This is your best chance for fuel and simple supplies prior to getting into Pamlico Sound.

Peter Y.

NautiG said...

Hey Peter, heading over to the marina this morning. It would be nice if I could get a shower and do some laundry without spending the night. I'll find an anchorage somewhere down the alligator river before I reach the canal. I'm sure it won't be a problem with my draft.

It's very peaceful here, although I can still see a couple lights off radio towers and hear the din of traffic crossing the Alligator River bridge. No stars. It was overcast last night.

Scott