Monday, November 26, 2007

I'm Learning

The plan today was to head down the Alligator River to the canal. However, with head winds from the south of 15-20 knots, and winds up to 25 knots predicted tonight, I decided a better plan would be to spend the night at the Alligator River Marina. I haven't been at a marina since Norfolk. Me, my clothes and the boat are getting pretty dirty and stinky. Time for a shower, laundry and power wash. The marina is very basic, just how Peter described it in the comments. It's nothing more than a gas station (for cars and boats), with a laundry and showers.

Unfortunately, the restaurant is closed. But they do have a little grill. The cheeseburger was one of the best I remember having in a long time. The burger didn't look like it was a prefab patty, and I had it with all the toppings they had, and extra mayo. It was a greasy mess. mmmmmm. The fries were actually potato wedges. They came out of the fryer piping hot. I burnt my tongue on the first one before I let them cool down.

I'm looking forward to a good night's sleep in the marina, while the wind howls out on the river. Tomorrow the winds are supposed to be at my back 10-15 knots and diminishing in the evening. Don't tell anyone, but I might put up a sail, if the wind is right. I have about 50 miles to go until the next services. The last stretch of that is in a long skinny canal, with lots of traffic. I have about 30 gallons of gas on board, which should be plenty. But I'm extra careful after the bad fuel experience. It'd be a great blog post if I ran out of gas in the canal, but I'm hoping to forgo that.

5 comments:

sandy said...

Finally a peaceful day, it sounds like. And a hamburger. What more can a sailor want.
Sometimes I sense that google is testing my sobriety with its distorted words.
Here's hoping the next few days will be equally uneventful.
Sandy

NautiG said...

Sandy, I'm sorry it's such a hassle to post, but I do enjoy you keeping me company on my voyage.

Today started with some minor trials and tribulations, but after that, I had a delightful motor/sail down (up?) the Alligator River. I'll write about it tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear to like Verizon wireless. I'll probly opt for it too. Take care on the Alligator Canal, stay away from the edges, as there are submerged cypress stumps. One took out my prop last trip when I moved closer to shore to avoid a barge and tug. :( There is also some darned thing in the MIDDLE of the canal, but I did not mark its location. Sorry. Best bet is to stay to right of center as you head south. Have a great trip!

NautiG said...

Thanks Bill, with my motor/sail this morning, I think I'm golden. I haven't yet depleted my first of five tanks of gas. Sadly, I only have one prop. I was warned to have a spare with me, and now I'm regretting that I didn't get one while I was home in Baltimore. I'll be as careful as I can be tomorrow.

Scott

Grampa said...

Let's see, you said rudders and anchors are very important safety features. Do you want to add props, when sailing needs to be suspended in favor of motoring?

Lessons learned for the next big leg of your journey, I hope.