Monday, April 21, 2008

Talent


No, this is not an old picture of the other anchor I bent. This is a new picture of the anchor I dredged up in the St. Augustine harbor, and have been using as my primary anchor. I bent it a little the other day, and it's been bending more and more until now it is useless.

This anchor bending incident was really dumb, and would lead you to question my sanity and competence. But in my defense, I was really tired when it happened. I'm not going to recount the incident. There is only so much public humiliation I can take, even if it's almost all self-inflicted.

Some of us discover our talents late in life. I never would have discovered my talent for losing/destroying anchors if I hadn't embarked on this cruise.

But anyway, a bunch of other things are broken on the boat. I'm looking forward to a little R&R (resting and repairing) tomorrow. Ross might come down for a visit too.

I caught two more bluefish on the ICW today. One of them is pretty big. But I don't know that I have any fishing talent. I'm not sure trolling a lure behind the boat for hours is a talent. By the law of averages, any moron would eventually catch a fish. But at least this one can console himself with a fresh fish dinner tonight.

10 comments:

Ross said...

Hey that's no fair - showing off another amazingly distorted anchor and then not telling the story behind it . . Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm looking forward to a full tour of Split Decision tomorrow and maybe then I'll get the details about the anchor mystery.

NautiG said...

This story is staying in the vault. Sorry. But I am looking forward to hearing all about your adventures on a catamaran in the Bahamas this past week.

Also, I would appreciate a ride to West Marine to buy another anchor. I'm down to three little ones.

Also, folks should expect a restaurant review soon. Ross spent a summer on the hook in Wrightsville Beach. I'm going to dock the boat at a restaurant he recommends for a meal with him and a friend.

Amy said...

Maybe I'll get the story out of you when I'm on the boat.

Enjoy your day of R&R!

NautiG said...

Just got back from dinner and hanging out on the boat with Ross and his buddy Tom. Ross took a bunch of pictures, so tomorrow's post should be a photo essay of the boat.

Ross mentioned that reading the blog, he had some idea of the boat. But that it was hard to get an idea of the boat as a whole. Hopefully he'll give his impression of the boat.

And thanks Ross for driving me to West Marine to pick up a new anchor. It would have been tough to get it back to the boat on my bicycle. But me riding down the street with an anchor strapped to the bike rack would have been a funny image.

Amy said...

Wow - that's a late night for you!

NautiG said...

Yah, we watched the sunset at anchor, and then I dropped the boys off at the marina. Drove home in the dark.

SV-Footprint said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SV-Footprint said...

OK, well THIS moron can't seem to catch a fish.... Any chance you can give some advice? I have every type of lure imaginable. I troll at various speeds in oceans and bays - even in internationally known areas of excellent fishing, and don't catch a thing... SO What lures have you found work best, and what speed are you trolling - and anything else you care to share to a hungry sailor, with a pile of expensive fishing gear that so far has been good for nothing except frustration.

{Deleted and reposted comment so that I can receive any reply - ever hopefull}

NautiG said...

Maryanne, my advice would be patience, and keep your lure in the water. Most of my success was in the canals of the ICW.

I had my gear deployed the entire trip up the Chesapeake, but didn't catch a thing. This, despite the fact that it is trophy rockfish season and there were tons of fisherman out with me.

But you are up in New England early and the water is cold. I don't know if the fish are biting yet, but I am enjoying your blog.

My best advice if you were really desperate to catch a fish, would be to go to a tackle shop and ask there for advice. But again, it may be too early in New England for easy fishing. In the summer in the Chesapeake, I've had lots of success fishing for spot, a bottom fish. They aren't trophy fish, but are easy to catch. And if you get enough of them, they will fill your tummy.

SV-Footprint said...

OK, more of the same. Today we passed a fishing boat with 3 guys on board all with rods out - just as we passed each one pulled up a fish! Good plan to ask the locals, but our "local" keeps on changing - given my success so far, will now ask ANYONE and EVERYONE. It can't make me any worse. ! Thanks again.