Friday, April 11, 2008

No Clue What a Tack Is

This post written from the Atlantic Ocean, about three miles east of Cumberland Island, Ga. Sailing up the coast at about two knots. Conditions look favorable for an overnighter. Currently sunny, 70s with east winds 5-10 knots.

From the New York Times Opinion Section:

Lately I’ve been thinking about the word “vang.” It is a sailing term, and if you look it up in the glossary of Royce’s “Sailing Illustrated,” you find that it refers to a line to prevent “the peak of a gaff from falling off leeward.” That is how it goes when you’re learning a new technical vocabulary. The language seems self-enclosed at first, each new definition an opaque cluster of words that themselves need defining. I was taught, during vocabulary in grade school, to try using a new word in a sentence. “There is a vang.” “Can someone show me the vang?” Those are my best efforts so far.
Full Article


I struggle with the language problem when I write the blog and when I have folks on the boat. Yesterday when I wrote about anchoring, I originally called the rope connected to the anchor a "rode". This is the correct nautical term for it. But I know that there are readers who wouldn't know what I was talking about. So I changed it to "line", which is the more general term for any rope on a boat. I figured most people would be familiar with that term.

I don't know a lot of the terms myself. I learned a them as a kid at sailing camp or in some class, but there have been periods of years when I didn't own a boat and didn't go sailing. It's easy to forget all the correct nautical terms when your boating experiences are mostly casual.

I'm relearning a lot of the terms now that I'm on the boat every day. In case you didn't get the pun in the title to this post, the clue, tack and head are the three corners of a triangular sail.

Also, I'm getting pretty good at tying a bowline knot quickly. I was taught it in the Boy Scouts, but in a pretty useless way. I never had reason to tie a bowline until recently.

6 comments:

Amy said...

I like the Times article. Should I start studying up for the summer?

Looks like you had a beautiful day, I hope you're enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

Thought the Gemini had an athwartship traveler for the mainsheet. If so then you have a built in boom vang.

Since I'm talking trivia, isn't it time for the "webcam on a Gemini catamaran going south" to become "webcam on a Gemini catamaran going North"?

NautiG said...

I'm again exhausted and having trouble stringing together more than a couple coherent sentences.

I made it from Fernandina Beach to St. Catherines Sound, GA. About 60 miles as the crow flies. Much farther as the sailboat sails.

I'm at anchor after doing a few more miles motoring on the ICW. I think I'm done for the day. The wind is howling, even here inland.

The internet is very sketchy here, so no boatcam or gps for the blog today.

NautiG said...

Anon, I'm starting to recover a little from my overnight passage. But your comment is leaving me a little dizzy with the sailing jargon.

I will however update the caption on the boatcam.

Rose said...

Good job Scott. That is quite a distance to cover in such a short period. Keep this up and you will be our way in no time. Hope it was a good voyage. Look forward to reading about it.

Rose

NautiG said...

Thanks Rose. Slept 12 hours last night. 0 hours the night before.

Internet, boatcam and gps back on.

Catching the tides and motor-sailing towards Savannah.