Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Lunatic




It drives me nuts when people say "tough road to hoe". It's "tough ROW to hoe". When someone botches this saying, it's clear they've never used a hoe and have no clue what would make a row tough or easy to hoe. (Although I do imagine them hoeing a road. That makes me chuckle.)

That's what happens in a (sub)urban culture. People lose touch with the roots of a saying. It amuses me when I'm able to use these sayings in their original literal sense. Back when I did the farming thing, I literally hoed some tough rows. Now that I'm doing the sailing thing, I've used some figurative expressions in their literal sense. (Although none are coming to mind now. I'll come back later and edit in a couple when I remember them.)

But anyway, yesterday I didn't get as far down the road as I wanted. It was very windy. I got to a spot where I had to go several miles straight into the wind. I went a few hundred yards along this length of the ICW, decided it wasn't worth the trouble, and turned back to a nice anchorage I had just passed.

Tired from all the wind and waves, I went to sleep early. I also woke early. Usually when this happens, I make myself go back to bed. I can usually fall asleep and wake at a reasonable hour.

But last night when I awoke, the wind was calm, the tide in my favor, and the moon shining. I decided to weigh anchor. (Weather reports were for another windy day today, and I had a ways to go to Charleston.)

I've never done the ICW at night before. I've seen tugboats do it. I don't know how. About half the daymarks were lit with flashing lights which helped. But half weren't. I almost ran over a couple. Also, watermen love to set their crab traps in the channel. Somehow I avoided entangling my prop in a crab line.

At one point I was lost. The handheld gps has preloaded maps, but they aren't very detailed. When on the ICW, it often looks like the boat is on land. This was one of the few times the little NautiG program was actually useful, and not just an amusement. It quickly got me back on track.

The moon set before dawn and for awhile it was just me, the boat and the stars. Fortunately soon after, I was in a ditch. The dark outline of the shore was visible yards away on either side. Hard to get lost in a ditch.

When I originally set off under the moon and stars last night, another boat was anchored yards away. I tried to be as quiet as possible, but I was still plenty noisy with the anchor chain clanging and the engine running. I thought I might have heard the folks in the other boat cursing the lunatic in the catamaran. I couldn't blame them. That's what I literally was.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice post! You might have a career in writing instead of computer science.

You're on the right track leaving early. If you want to make progress on the ICW, it's up before dawn and underway at first light. You can then anchor at a decent time and be joyful at having made good progress.

The night thing is great when not singlehanded without a functional autopilot. Everything an go to sh.. in a heart beat at night. Having a functional autopilot to hold the helm at reduced speed while you figure stuff out makes all the difference in te world.

while you

NautiG said...

Anon, you're breaking up on me. But thanks for the vote of confidence.

Grampa said...

Among his other accomplishments, Scott has a degree in English. I'd say he did well in English Composition.

NautiG said...

Sails up. Riding the current out of Charleston Harbor. Float plan is to go overnight to Winyah Bay. Of course, if the weather holds up, I might do two nights and go farther up the coast.

Rose said...

Saw you today between 3:30pm and 4pm through the boatcam just sitting off the side of the boat starring off into the ocean. Penny for your thoughts?

Amy said...

In case you haven't caught the sports news... Steve McNair is retiring. It's a sad day for your Ravens.

NautiG said...

At anchor near Georgetown, SC. Internet still stinks, so no boatcam or gps. I had no internet or cell phone on the ocean passage from Charleston.

The blog has been getting hit daily by spam comments. They look like this:

Blogger Galmaran said...

See Please Here

April 17, 2008 11:59 PM

I've been deleting these comments as soon as they post. But without the internet the past couple days, I wasn't able to delete this one. I warned folks about these comments a few days ago. But apparently some of you clicked on it anyway.

Do not click on any links which are posted by random people and are not related to sailing.

If the spam continues, I'm going to have to moderate comments, which will be a pain in the ass, and make the blog less interactive. I wish google would get on top of this problem and fix it.

NautiG said...

Hey Admiral Amy, McNair's retirement wasn't unexpected. The Ravens owner is blowing up the team and rebuilding. He fired coach Bilick, and I imagine a lot of old players are going. Ther're going to look like a young, new team next year.

Amy said...

I wasn't shocked - he also spent most of last season injured... Will this be a better, stronger Ravens team?

Grampa said...

Steelers are playing the Ravens on September 29 in Pittsburgh. Scott, do you want to wager on the outcome?

Go Steelers! (Grampa grew up in Pittsburgh)

NautiG said...

I'll wager that the Raven's will get their clock cleaned. It'll be a young team, and will take awhile for them to get their act together.

I'm looking forward to rooting for the team at Amy's new school. I'll actually get to go to the games, instead of just watching on tv. Supposedly, the tailgating is fun too.