Sunday, April 13, 2008

Not That Guy

But now I am. "That Guy" talks about how fast his boat is, and how many miles he did in a single day. Maybe you're that guy. That's fine with me. Whatever floats your boat.

I prefer to stop and smell the roses. My ideal cruise is doing 2-3 knots in 5-10 knot winds. Do some fishing, see some dolphins and other sea creatures.

But now I have a schedule to keep. I have to be in Baltimore in May. And Martha's Vineyard in July. I'm not complaining about it. It is what it is. I'm actually having some fun with my routine shook up. Although it's exhausting me too. The state of Georgia is a blur. I slept twelve hours last night. Zero offshore the night before. Today I did sixty miles on the ICW. A lot of it sailing, if you can believe that.

The tides were fast and the wind brisk out of the west. I raised the jib and timed the tides whenever I could. Most of the miles between Savannah and Hilton Head, I did on the tide and a jib. No engine. And pretty fast too.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Nicely done, captain. Is now the time for me to remind you that we have to be in the Vineyard by June 28? :)

NautiG said...

I may stop in Beaufort overnight. I can get a shower, do some laundry and resupply.

Later in the week it looks like the weather could be good for some offshore trips. If I can get to Charleston in time, I'll peak out in the ocean there.

I was hoping to reward myself with another stay at a marina in Charleston. But if the weather is right, I'll have to take advantage of it. It'll be too bad, because Charleston was one of my favorite places I visited on the way down.

Mr. Fred said...

Hi Guy,
Doing that "getting home cruise" thing.

Listen, man, I really want you to consider and try to schedule in trip up the Patuxent to see us. Yes - that will be a day up and a day back. You could hang at Riverfield and we could resupply you. Let's try and schedule Amy too! Heck - Grandpa could come too. That could give my father someone in his age group to talk to and they could talk engineering.

Power boat rides, motorcycle rides, and Sunfish sailing would be in the picture. Fireworks, croquet, barbeque, fishing, and an all around good time.
BUT - you gotta show. I've been bragging about you for so long, I have gotta be able to prove that I am not lying.

"Volvo Around The World Race" starting soon. They will be sailing around Cape Horn -- just about as treacherous as you can get. Great article in the Wash Post -- Angus Phillips in the Sport section in the Sunday Edition of the Wash Post - if you can get that on the internet. I think you would fit in very well. These are 50 foot boats sailing at 50 knotts. You would be quite the sleeper. Hahaha!

NautiG said...

Mr. Fred, I will try to do it on the trip north, but I have a lot on my plate right now. I have a lot of miles to go, and Baltimore is calling... and not in a good way.

It might be best to aim for a late summer trip up the Patuxent. Coming back to the Chesapeake from New England in August should be less harried than the trip north.