Monday, April 28, 2008

Day of Rest

I left St. Augustine, FL about three weeks ago. I'm amazed by the distance I've covered. I'm in Belhaven, NC now. That's about 700 miles of sailing/motoring. I'm pretty confident about making Baltimore in a couple weeks and taking care of business.

This is the first real day off I've taken since Florida. But even on a boat, a day off is not really a day off. My primary electrical inverter died this morning. (An inverter converts the DC current from the batteries to AC, so that I can run my computer and other regular appliances). I have another inverter, but it's a little finicky. Also, my holding tank overflowed. I had to pump out the tank and clean out the mess in the locker. My bad. I pumped it out recently, but I guess I've been full of s*** recently.

Also went ashore to resupply in Belhaven. At first I tied up to what looked like the town dock. I was chased out of there. The guy would only let me tie up if I paid to spend the night. I only wanted to tie up for 15 minutes to pick up some stuff at the hardware/general store.

There is a public boat ramp about a hundred yards away, so I anchored and kayaked in. The general store has a few foodstuffs, but not much. The closest grocery store is on the highway about two miles away. I don't know why Belhaven doesn't get it's act together. It's a cute little town, and there isn't much else along the ICW here. A little effort on their part would help to revive the town and their economy. Thousands of boats pass by here, but it doesn't look like many stop.

1 comments:

Grampa said...

Best check for leaks into your sump. No, not yours; from other sources.