Friday, April 25, 2008

Amnesia

Just passed Swansboro, NC and mile marker 230. I don't remember this stretch of the ICW at all. I looked back at the blog post for this section of the trip on the way south. It is entitled Fatigue. On the way down I was cold and tired. Now I'm achy and tired. I've ran aground a couple times in the past few days. I've had to jump out and push the boat off the sandy bottom. My body aches like the day after going to the gym after a long hiatus.

Maybe there is something about this stretch of the ICW that encourages fatigue: Its middling distance from Florida and the Chesapeake, or its straightforward and featureless landscape which encourages long hours of motoring.

I took a day off from traveling in Wrightsville Beach. But it wasn't really a day off. I biked ten miles round trip to Home Depot and Walmart, fixed a bunch of stuff on the boat, and had dinner with Ross and Tom. I think I need a real day off of doing nothing. I'll look for an opportunity to do that soon.

3 comments:

Mr. Fred said...

Hola Pendejo,
Wow, all this running aground sounds like you must be keeping your hulls clean.
When Frank & I run aground, its at about 40 mph and very disconcerting.

Wish you were here tonight. Murph and two buddies from work are coming over. We will have 4 guitars, bongos, and harmonicas. What a cacophony. Poor Rose!

I know you are on that long leg just want to get home kind of thing. Would still love if you could somehow find the time to squeeze in Riverfield on this leg north.

Sounds like you had a great time with Ross.

Later much Dude!

NautiG said...

Most of my groundings occur at about 2 mph while cautiously entering an inlet with dubious depths.

I have a guide book and go to a website which recommends anchorages, but I like to look for more secluded spots.

Wish I could add my barbaric yawp to the festivities tonight. I still haven't picked up a guitar string, so I'm out of strumming practice. If I were there, my yawp would be more barbaric than usual. Say hi to Murph and all.

Sailing up Bogue Sound at about 3.5 mph! Everyone is passing me.

Rose said...

That's a great pic of you in Yada, Yada, Yada. I also liked the pic of Ross. Too bad you removed it. Looks like your really making alot of progress up north. I track you know at about Bachelor (appropriate name) and it seemed you were around Beaufort yesterday evening. That is quite alot in one day. Your half way thru NC and almost to Virginia. Go Scott!