Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Captain Crankypants: Part II



I thought this comment by Lou might have gotten lost to most blog readers, and that it deserved a more prominent place on the blog. I really enjoyed reading it. I know the main thread of the blog is my trip, but the comments are the payoff for me.

I found a picture of a Venture 21 to go along with the post. Louie, if you have another picture you'd like to substitute, or object to my making your comment a post, let me know.

Scott,

Your picture brought back memories of my first overnight stay on a Venture 21, 23 years ago. It was the first night spent on our (new to my Wife and I) venture 21. We set out at dusk with a pre cooked meal for dinner, and to spend our first night on a boat. The venture was the first boat we owned that had a table to eat at and a bunk to sleep in (wow).

By the time we were out in the bay, it was total blackness, no moon, not even sure exactly where we were (long before gps, did not have a loran either). This was a very basic boat, not even a depth finder. I tossed out an anchor and the rode ran for a while, so I guessed we were in plenty of water.

We sat down in our tiny little comfy dinette and enjoyed our first meal on a boat. The noise of waves lapping the hull lulled us to sleep. I awoke around 6:00 AM and noticed the boat was not rocking, and waves were not a lapping. Slid open the companion way hatch, and was not prepared for what I was about to see. The boat was high and dry, the anchor rode was completely visible right up to the anchor that was smartly dug into the mud. We were around 200 feet from any water. We were both glad we cranked up the center board before we retired (not sure if it would have retracted on it's own).

Clammers were driving by, laughing and enjoying the moment, we were not however. Nothing to do but wait for the tide to come up. I made 1 big mistake. It looked so ridiculous seeing the anchor and rode, so I pulled it and stowed the anchor.

As the tide came in it just kept pushing us further up on the sandbar, and could not float her off. Tossed out the anchor reset it and waited for more water to come, finally a couple hours we were afloat again and sailed off the bar.

Take Care,
Louie and Meg

P.S. You should have never made the blog about "Captain CrankyPants". It seems that my Wife asks every day "How is Captain CrankyPants doing today" Lol! So it seems the name stuck with her. Maybe she is trying to tell ME something, huh? Hmmm, maybe Captain CrankyPants has a distant relative in NJ? I do not think there is any sailor in the world that has not had the cranky syndrome at one time or another.

April 8, 2008 10:51 AM

Blogger Split Decision said...

Great story Lou.

That's funny about your wife asking about Captain Crankypants. Hopefully, you and I won't live to regret the title of that post. Tell Meg that Captain Crankypants says hi!

8 comments:

Rose said...

Good Morning Scott,
Again, enjoyed the blogs. Nice fish! Are you still in St. Aug? Have you finished rendering unto Ceasar? When are you heading north again?

It has been dreary and drissly here the last few days, but the robins are about hunting their worms and the daffodils are out in yellow force.

Fred got his Sunfish seaworthy and plans to take me sailing once the weather clears. I have not been sailing in years. Should be fun! When you come down, I sure hope Amy can join you. She could take the train down and we could pick her up and bring her with us to the country. I think Fred's dad would enjoy seeing you and the boat too since he has internet and sometimes reads your blog. We could have a nice feast and play some croquet. I hope you fit us in your plans:)

Rose

NautiG said...

Hey Rose, it's nice to hear that not all dads burn their son's sunfish sailboat to the ground. I'd love to take Fred's out for a sail if I make it up the Patuxent.

I'm in Jacksonville and was planning on motoring up the ICW to Cumberland Island, GA today. But then I started worrying about finishing my taxes and doing some minor repairs on the boat. Then I couldn't find a marina along the way to get gas, and started worrying about making the trip in one day.

I was getting myself all bent out of shape and decided to just stay put and take care of those things. The forecast for tomorrow is looking promising for sailing, so hopefully I'll sail up to Cumberland Island.

Lou and Meg SV *Starrider* said...

Hello Scott,
I got a real laugh today when checking your blog. I have no objection and that is exactly the sailboat we had owned at the time (ours was blue). In fact it brought back more memories. I enjoy your blogs and the boatcam. It gives me a much needed "fix" as it will be weeks before we finish with our bottom job and get our gem back in the water. Enjoy your day hanging out at anchor. Take Care, Louie & Meg

NautiG said...

Thanks Louie. I think the story is as good or better than any sailing story I've ever told. And unless people want a blow by blow account of me doing my taxes, I don't have much to write about today.

Doing taxes is a great way to ruin a sunny day at anchor in Florida. I've got all my info organized and have a pretty good idea what I owe Uncle Sam. But I'm done with it for today. We'll see if I can gather another head of steam before the 15th. Otherwise, I'm going to file for an extension and send him a check. If anything, I'll be sending him more than I owe, so I think he'll be satisfied.

This time of year, I wish I just had a job and a w2. I guess it's my fault for having rental properties, an hsa, etc...

And every year there seems to be something new that I have to deal with.

NautiG said...

I've recently gotten an upsurge of spam comments. Hopefully, I've deleted them before anyone clicked on the links. I get an email whenever a comment is posted.

Some of the recent spam has looked like this:

Blogger Tygogal said...

See Please Here

April 9, 2008 4:10 PM

"See Please Here" is a link which will pop up a bunch of windows saying that your computer is infected with viruses. Do not click on it.

If you do click on some link like this on the internet, ignore the windows, and shut down your web browser and/or computer. Do not click on any of the windows. If you do, you might actually get a virus.

But in any case, please ignore any comments which obviously have no relation to the blog and sailing. And of course, we all know not to download and run any programs from sources we don't know and trust.

NautiG said...

Also, I don't know what google ads are being served up for other folks, but this one keeps being displayed for me:


Intercostal Waterway Maps
Cruising Guides for Intercoastal ww Canal in Florida & Bahamas, Call.
www.SonSetMarine.com


It's INTRACOASTAL. I certainly wouldn't buy charts from people who can't spell the name of the thing they purport to chart.

Grampa said...

On that last comment about brother's in law, you might get some flack from Kristin's husband.

I want you to know I'm keeping up with your exploits. Like most of the other readers, I am enjoying hearing about your trials and tribulations, but I guess I'll never hear the end about your sailfish and the canoe.

Tax time approaches; pay your taxes; you're paying my salary, but I expect that I am contributing more than you, at least at this time in my life.

I saw today that you have a new deck chair and then rearranged it. Hope this does not portend any comparisons to the sayings about the Titanic!

NautiG said...

Thanks Grampa, I had hoped to sail up to Cumberland Island today, but the winds continue to be northerly. It'll probably be another day of motoring up the ditch.

NWS keeps talking about southerly winds for the next few days. Keep your fingers crossed that they materialize. It would be great to do another overnight passage.