Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Purrs Like a Kitten


Outboard's Running! It was just corroded spark plug boots. Ordinarily, I would have replaced the spark plug wires as a matter of course during an electrical tune-up. But the spark plug wires seem to be integrated with the C.D. unit. From my research online, a replacement C.D. unit would cost a couple hundred dollars, at least. I ran over to autozone this morning and bought a couple spark plug wires. I bought a couple where the boots seemed to fit my spark plug (of course autozone does not carry the specified equipment for a Tohatsu outboard). I stripped the boots from the wires and clamped them onto my outboards wires. I said a prayer (the boat has been a prayerful place recently), and pulled the cord. Engine started after a few pulls.

You can see my repair, and the bubbling water from the prop in the pic. Of course this is one of my duct tape and baling twine repairs. Hopefully, I'll eventually fix it properly. I have some dielectric lubricant to put on the connections, and I need to figure out how to get the rubber boot over the connections for protection. I'll probably tape it up really well too.

I don't blame my outboard for quitting on me. The boat took quite a bath on the way into St. Augustine. A lot of water came over the bridge deck and the forward berth was soaked so that I couldn't sleep in it for a couple nights. We took water over the stern too, and I took a couple baths. I probably needed the baths. I haven't been keeping up with my sponge bath regimen. But I don't think the outboard appreciated the hosing down. I'm not sure what the generator's excuse is for choosing this time to quit on me. It was just along for the ride. New head gaskets should arrive tomorrow.

1 comments:

Amy said...

Three cheers for Captain Fixit!