Sunday, March 9, 2008

Rebuttal


Getting to Cocoa Beach has often required pulling an all nighter. When I was a kid, we traveled in our land yacht, a Pontiac Safari station wagon. Some sailing purists might suggest that I am again traveling in another bloated boat with my Gemini catamaran. I remember on one of the trips as a kid making a game out of finding the cheapest gas price. The winner was 54 cents a gallon. Now the game is to find the most expensive. Winner so far is $3.85 a gallon. You do get gouged on the water.

I had a blast staying at the Polaris Motel as a kid. The beach was yards away. I would spend the days making sand castles (really just digging large holes in the sand) and body surfing in the ocean. Grampa bought me a styrofoam board on which I surfed the waves. I'd also stick it in the motel pool, get a running start from the deck and jump on it trying to surf it like a real surf board. I cracked a couple of the boards in half trying this stunt. It's a wonder I didn't crack my head open on the pool ledge.

I got so sunburnt on one of the trips that it was difficult to climb the stairs to our balcony motel room. I couldn't bend my knees, I was so sunburnt. You wonder why I have so many freckles. Of course, parents weren't nearly as careful with their kids in those days, as the "helicopter parents" these days. My sister and I would climb all over the station wagon while traveling down I-95. We never wore seat belts in our land yacht.

One of the highlights of those trips was a bus tour of the Kennedy Space Center. By myself at about age 8. I'm pretty sure that I saw the inside of the vehicle assembly building. And I have a definite memory of the dual roads and the huge tractor which carries the rockets to the launch pad, one tread on each road. And of course, there were the launches. I have a definite memory of what must have been one of the Voyager launches. And believe it or not, even though I was only about a year old when it happened, I used to have a sort of memory of the Apollo 11 launch. It was really just an impression of light and noise.

Even though I didn't like seafood as a kid, I always looked forward to going to the Fisherman's Wharf and feeding the catfish. It was an amazing sight. The fish would be so packed together competing for the scraps we would toss them. I think the restaurant sold bundles of old hush puppies and fryer scraps that we would toss to the fish.

Grampa insists that he wasn't trying to traumatize me by taking me to see Jaws. But what kind of parent takes their kid to such a movie while at the beach? I think the next day was our last of the trip, and I was afraid to go in the water. It was a windy day and the surf was kind of rough. Grampa assured me that the surf conditions were too rough for the sharks, and that it was fine to go in the water.

I won't even go into the bars that Grampa took me into to play pool at that age.


A Shuttle fuel tank going through the same bridges the boat and I went through to get into the Banana river.

5 comments:

Rose said...

Hi Scott,
Just saw the boatcam come online. I am still swaying. Did have to put on a coat and tie last night which was not required dress aboard the boat. Getting ready to go to work in 20 minutes. Of course, those days are long past for you. Maybe Rose and I will stay up to see the shuttle launch at 2:30AM. Nahhhh. Maybe we will see the silhouette of your mast in the firey background. Ok - captain - over and out. Steady as she goes.

Fred

Grampa said...

Scott, a great read. I had myself a couple of real belly laughs. These days I would probably be prosecuted for child negligence. I had forgotten my line to you to get you back in the water, that the water was too rough for the sharks. How inventive fathers must be.

That old station wagon really served us well. In addition to multiple back and forths to Cocoa Beach, it served to transport Boy Scouts to weekend backpacking adventures and also goats to and from the vets and to county fairs, as well as hauling hay from local farms to our barn to feed horses and goats. It became known as the goatmobile. They don't build them that way anymore.

NautiG said...

Well Grampa, at least you didn't run over me with the car, like my mom did. Although, I will credit both of you with trying to drown me in a Florida sink hole.

The "goatmobile" also transported my friends and I, and my sunfish to Ocean City, MD for Beach Week after high school graduation. That's one of the few times I'd done some ocean sailing before this trip.

Any pics of the Cocoa Beach vacations to add to the post?

Fred, there's a record mode on the boatcam. I'll record the launch for those who don't want to stay up. I'll post it for later viewing, if the boatcam picks up anything good. Sorry you have to work today.

Ross said...

It's fun reading about all the FL 'old timers' stories although the descriptions of the sunburn called up my own memories that I'd just as soon forget!

NautiG said...

Thanks Ross. There probably won't be too many sailing posts until I head north at the end of March. Until then, it'll be mostly Florida posts on the blog.