Saturday, March 22, 2008

Random Indian River Pictures

Picking up Buffy in Melbourne:

Puffer fish on the line:

Pelicans and fisherman:

Fast trimaran:

Scott drives the boat:

Buffy drives the boat:


Buffy made it home safe and sound, if a little worse for wear. She only took one dose of seasickness medicine while on the boat, but she told me she took another today in NYC. Seems the ground won't stop swaying under her feet (and she's fighting a cold she picked up on the airplane).

The ground swaying is the same thing Fred complained about after his week aboard. I think it's caused by people trying to compensate for the movement of the boat while aboard. Maybe it's some muscle memory of the compensation. Just a theory. I don't have this problem. I think it dissipates after time aboard.

So much for returning Buffy home tanned and rested.

6 comments:

Ross said...

The pics are nice 'cause they really convey a 'thousand words +' description of what's going on.

I assume that the puffer fish didn't make it to the dinner plate and/or Ramen soup. I think that (as you mentioned earlier) some varieties of puffer fish are the Japanese delicacy fugu (http://japanesefood.about.com/cs/seafoodfish/a/fugublowfish.htm) but can be deadly unless prepared with great care.

I've experienced that post-sail motion thing too, and like you, find that it diminished once I began living on-board. It's such a strange sensation to really feel like you're moving when you know that you're completely still.

Amy said...

It's not unlike drinking too much and getting the spins. Without the fun of drinking too much.

NautiG said...

Hey Ross, it was a bit of a bummer that we weren't able to catch anything edible. Although, I think Amy enjoyed the fishing nonetheless.

You can thank Amy and her fancy camera for the pictures. I do have one of me looking nonplussed, or maybe a little irritated with all the picture taking. I thought about posting it too. I think my expression is kind of funny.

I used to get the ground sway feeling when I'd spend a few days on my old Pearson Ariel. After a few days aboard that boat, I'd be looking forward to land. I'd be tired and sunburned (no bimini), but I'm pretty comfortable on this boat. In fact, after being on land, I often look forward to being back on the boat.

NautiG said...

Oh, and I changed the layout of the blog. Please let me know if you have problems viewing the blog now. Over my years of web design and programming, I've learned that different operating systems and browsers will render web pages differently. What looks fine on my computer may not look right on yours. Amy has helped by giving me some feedback about how the new layout displays on her computer. But hers and mine are the only computers I've been able to test it on. I'd especially like to know how it displays on a Mac or Linux box.

Rachel said...

Scott, right now on my Mac it will only display one post at a time-- I have to click the links on the left to read other posts... there's just blank space all the way down after your Coke post, for example.

NautiG said...

Thanks Rachel, I changed it so that now three posts are displayed on the front page.

Hope you guys didn't have the same ground sway feeling that Fred and Amy had, after your afternoon on the boat!