Thursday, March 20, 2008

Only Losers Ride the Bus


We rode the bus out to Cocoa Beach today (as we did earlier in the week). Buffy had reserved a rental car in Cocoa Beach for us to do some errands, and for her to drive to the airport tomorrow. It was an economical choice, seeing as how the cab ride from the airport cost $17, and a rental car cost $36. The rental car turned out to be a school bus orange Mustang in which she chauffeured me to the laundromat, Target and Walmart. My clothes are clean, my larder stocked with non-perishables and my tackle box stocked with lures. She also bought me an early birthday present of a Coleman thermoelectric cooler.

We celebrated our successful shopping expedition with an early dinner at Bunky's Raw Bar. I had a tuna sandwich and Buffy had a blackened Mahi-mahi. The food was good, but not nearly as good as the meal I had at JJ Grills when I first came into Port Canaveral. The fish sandwich I had at Grills was flaky, pink in the middle and perfectly seared. I'd guess the fish was fresh. The tuna at Bunky's was cooked somewhat rare, and was probably a frozen piece of fish. Still good, just not memorable.

Buffy says she doesn't like driving the Mustang. But I don't think there's anything hotter than a chick driving a Mustang. Except maybe a chick sailing a catamaran. Vroom, vroom.

6 comments:

Mr. Fred said...

Hola Amy & Scott,

Hey, this Peltier device you mentioned, was that the unit you were trying to hook up a solar powered fan on your staw hat back on South Ann Street? Can't wait to hear how the fridge works out, but I can see how this it not nearly as important as the heater Grampa gave you.

Actually this is the first time I've been able aptly apply the word "Fufarufu"
to you because you neglected to mention that Mr. Fred was with you during that "memorable" meal at JJ Grills. Of course, we do remember what "Fufarufu" means?

Amy, I know Scott just loved having you aboard, but I am very disappointed that you did not have your camera when Scott took a dive. You could have become and instant Paparazzi. As a matter of fact, we could create a whole new Paparazzi
set - the Aquatic Paparazzi!

Until later,

Mr. Fred

NautiG said...

Mr. Fred, of course my meal at JJ Grills was memorable not just for the cuisine, but the entertaining and engaging company.

Yes, the peltier device is the same as the one in my presently abandoned "Brain Freeze" invention. I may pick up that project in the future, when technology catches up to my imagination. I am a man ahead of my time.

Hope you've adjusted to life back on land. And that the ground has stopped swaying under your feet.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott and Amy,
Sounds like the two of you have been having fun this week. I was out of town, but my husband thought he saw you anchored off of Pineda Causeway. Sorry we haven't had a chance to get together before Amy leaves town. Scott, when are you heading back north?
Carla

Grampa said...

I expect to hear a more complete account of your adventures in Cocoa Beach!

Grampa said...

Buffy had the better choice at Bunky's. What were you thinking?

NautiG said...

Carla, we spent one night early in the week south of the Pineda causeway. The wind had changed and we weren't able to get any farther without motoring. We spent the rest of the week around the 520 bridge and Cocoa.

We spent a couple nights on the north side of the bridge when there were some strong winds from the south. Amy wondered why we were the only ones who moved to the north side. The south side anchorage was quite bumpy with all the wind. The north side was pretty calm. I didn't have an answer for her as to why no one else moved.

I'm on the SW side of the 520 bridge now. I'll move over to the Cocoa anchorage before I leave. I need to talk to Al on Gemini #108 about his rudders. He has the old fiberglass ones. And I need to go to the hardware store. For anyone visiting Cocoa, I would recommend a trip to the hardware store in Cocoa Village. It's pretty cool.

The weather forecast looks like Tues/Wed might be a good time to start north. I've realized that I only have a month and a half to get back north. I'm looking forward to some distance making ocean passages.

But anyway Carla, if you guys are around this weekend, you can find me on the south side of the 520 bridge - either east of west.

Grampa, I don't know how much more detail of our visit to Cocoa Beach I can give you without the blog losing it's PG rating. But seriously, we did all the usual stuff. Ron Jon, the beach, the pier etc. It was a little too cold and windy to really enjoy the beach, but we still had fun.