Friday, January 11, 2008

Hef


I'm sitting in a king sized bed watching the Today show on a large flat screen tv. We're in a fancy boutique hotel on River Street. Last night, the hotel had a cocktail and appetizer reception for the guests. Very civilized. Afterwards, we went out for a fancy dinner. Muffy took tons of pictures yesterday while we strolled about town. I'm expecting a photo essay post from her.

When we get back to the boat, I'll start on installation of the heater. I think I have it all planned out. Unfortunately, it won't go in the spot I originally planned for it, where there was already a hole for the chimney. The manufacturer recommends at least a two foot chimney. The chimney in that location would be closer to a foot long. I'll have to cut a hole in the ceiling in the new location. It's a scary prospect to cut a hole in my boat. I've solicited advice online, and I think I have a good idea of the procedure, so that I won't make a mess of the job.

The guy in the boat next to me is going to help me bend my anchor back into shape. He's doing some dock work for the marina and has some torches. Also tried to fire up the fridge, but was soon overwhelmed by the odor of ammonia. Apparently, my fridge uses ammonia instead of freon as a coolant. Somewhere, there must be a leak in the system.

Pic added now that we're back on the boat. Muffy took over a hundred pictures. Savanah photo essay will be tomorrow's post. Muffy calls this "The Hef" pic.

5 comments:

Grampa said...

Suggest you may want to reconsider a 2 foot installation. Try your internet groups for advice. The 2 foot advice seems overconservative to me given the leaky cabin you have. The concern is probably related to recirculation of the exhaust. But it may also relate to the temperature of the exhaust and its effect on the boat surfaces. If so, it should probably recommend a standoff distance from any surface, not just a 2 foot elevation.

Grampa said...

Suggest you may want to reconsider a 2 foot installation. Try your internet groups for advice. The 2 foot advice seems overconservative to me given the leaky cabin you have. The concern is probably related to recirculation of the exhaust. But it may also relate to the temperature of the exhaust and its effect on the boat surfaces. If so, it should probably recommend a standoff distance from any surface, not just a 2 foot elevation.

NautiG said...

The leakiness of the cabin is irrelevant. The chimney is double walled and sucks fresh air from the outside and expels exhaust to the outside.

However, the plan is evolving. I may not have to cut a hole. I'm looking at moving the fridge to another location in the boat and putting the heater in its place.

Anonymous said...

Savanah has a great maritime museum if you get a chance, it's well worth the visit.

NautiG said...

Hey Carla,

We missed that. We were only there overnight. If I stop there again on my way down the icw, maybe I'll check it out.

Scott