Thursday, January 24, 2008

Boatcam


I bought a webcam. It uploads a new image to the web every 30 seconds. At this point you have to hit your browser refresh/reload button to get the new image. I'm working on writing a flash program that will make viewing the boatcam more user friendly. Maybe I'll have it ready by Saturday when I leave the marina. Then you can really come sailing with me! Until then, the picture will be a pretty boring and static picture of the marina from the bow of my boat.

The boatcam will not be operable at night (Nothing to see then), or in the case of inclement weather (I need to build an enclosure for it). In those cases, the last available picture will be displayed.

Update: boatcam in sidebar is now a flash program which automatically loads a new image every 30 seconds or so.

2 comments:

sandy said...

Pretty exciting, Scott. We use our webcam to Skype our daughter in Munich. Enjoyed the adventures of Muffy and Buff(y).
Sandy

NautiG said...

Hey Sandy,

Muffy and I were wondering if you were still around. Hadn't heard from you in a while. I wish I could have a video feed from the boat, but it would take up too much bandwidth. I'm thinking I might have the camera update once a minute while at anchor, and maybe every fifteen seconds or so while underway. Right now, the image is updated every 30 seconds.

The boatcam in the blog sidebar is now a flash program which automatically updates the image. No need to hit the refresh button.