Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Fore!


As promised (threatened?) while in Hilton Head, today's post is about golf. Muffy is leaving this weekend, and I had hoped to take her out for a night at anchor. I wanted to show her the dolphins and do some fishing. But it's been windy the past couple days and it's supposed to be rainy the rest of the week. Bummer. Today we played golf and ate lunch at a Chinese and Sushi buffet. We also picked up another propane tank so that I will have a backup when one runs out. These are the ubiquitous tanks that you see in front of every home depot/walmart. Amazingly, I'm still on the tank I left Baltimore with. Muffy jokes that there are little elves filling the tank at night while I sleep. The tank has to run out soon now that I am running my heater for hours at a time.

Muffy and I were introduced to golf a couple summers ago at Jones Beach on Long Island. There's a little "par 3" or "pitch and putt" course there. Par 3 courses are a lot of fun. There's none of the stuffiness of a regular golf course. There are people of all skill levels on the course. And it's affordable. Each hole is 50-100 yards long. You generally get one good whack at the ball, and then some putting on a green.

The last time we played was in the summer, so it took us a while to get in the swing of things today. I didn't get a nice straight drive until about hole eight (we only played nine holes). I did get par on one hole. But I think our overall scores were about double par. Oh well. We did have fun, and it was the nicest course we've played on. The greens were divot free, and we didn't have to dodge goose crap like we do on LI.

Pic is Muffs driving the ball off the tee. You can see the ball leaving the frame on the right.

0 comments: