Wednesday, January 16, 2008

No Male Space


I've been meaning to write something about this marina (as a follow up to my previous marina culture post), but we've been keeping pretty busy. Now we're coming up on a couple rainy days, so this might be a good time.

Let me start by saying that pretty much everything I wrote about the previous marina has not been true here. I guess that's what I get from generalizing from a sample size of one. This marina is not at all what I'd call a "male space." People here speak to me and Scott equally, and there's been no avoidance of eye contact or ignoring my presence. Women walk around here - there's even a boat that seems to be occupied by only a woman.

Notably, this also feels a good deal more posh than Scott's Baltimore marina. The boats are big, bright and new looking; they actually gleam in the morning light. We don't actually see people working on their boats here. For one, I'm not sure there's much that needs fixing on their boats. Also, it seems as though many of the owners hire people to do the upkeep. It took a few days for Scott to realize that it was the same guys working on different boats here, and not a lot of owners out working on their boats every day.

The Balto marina felt a little more like a trailer park, with guys always out peering under the hoods of each other's cars. Guys were always popping by to check on Scott's latest repair project, to add their two cents or lend a hand. This marina is really more of a resort where people happen to live on boats, but the boat itself doesn't seem that important, or a central topic of conversation. I think Scott misses his old fart friends from Balto.

There are nice people in both places, and I'm definitely enjoying my stay, but it's been a very different experience. I was hoping that this posh marina would have some posh facilities for us. I do love a good hot shower. The facilities are nicer here, with indoor bathrooms and showers instead of a port-a-potty and shower trailer. On the down side, since most of the boats have nice facilities of their own, the marina has only seen fit to set up one set of full bathrooms (with showers) and it is all the way on the other side of the marina from our dock (about a half mile). There are also some bathrooms with toilets about a quarter mile away. I've taken to biking to the bathrooms so I don't spend so much time going to and from...

I'm thinking that at this point, we've hit close to the two opposite ends of the marina continuum. I am still curious about the marinas that have fitness centers and swimming pools for their residents. I think we need a place where the other boats are nice, but not so nice that good bathrooms are considered superfluous.

9 comments:

NautiG said...

The bicycle ride to the bathrooms for my morning constitutional gives new meaning to the phrase "anal retentive."

Anonymous said...

So, Amy, dare I say it? Do you think there is a correlation between class and degree of male space at marinas? And how would we measure class in this case? Of course a sample size of 2 isn't very reliable. More field research is needed! I expect this may become your new research project.

Amy said...

Indeed. I'm thinking I need to apply for a grant to get a larger sample!

Grampa said...

Amy, I think this is not about class. You have to realize that Scott got some of his heritage from me, and I have about a quarter Scottish in me, so he has at least an eighth. That's strong enough to support the idea of enjoying the Baltimore marina and all his other thrift ways. I guess mine was reinforced by the fact that I was born during the depression and my parents certainly managed money in a thrift way.

The upper end of the spectrum is engaged because even us thrifty folks enjoy some comforts and like to treat our ladies. But don't count on it as a steady diet!

By the way, your travel north is likely to be very cold this weekend according to the weather prognosticators, so I hope your car heater is as good as Scott's boat furnace.

Grampa speaks!

NautiG said...

Class aside, I'm looking forward to bidding farewell to marina culture and enjoying the peace of a quiet anchorage. Do the fish and birds have a class heirarchy?

The boat and I are in much improved condition. We have a little more than a week to go here. Amy is leaving Saturday, and my friends Bruce and Pammy are arriving hot on her heals for a weekend visit.

The rudder situation is the major issue unresolved. If you remember, another Gemini owner is replacing his rudder cages and giving his old ones to me. His new rudder cages are due to arrive very soon, so keep your fingers crossed!

Amy said...

We've already agreed that the boat is Scott's space (I can only survive for so long without easily accessible hot showers), so he can keep it in as cheap of a marina as he wants. I actually liked hanging out at the Baltimore marina myself. As we know, I like old farts.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cap & Amy
Just wanted to say have a safe trip back to the big apple Amy.
Glad you added some flare to the Captains blog.
Captain, is the rest of your trip determined by time or distance/place?
Have Fun::::::::::
OS

Grampa said...

You better believe fish and birds have a class hierarchy. However, it is based on who can eat whom, not on the size of their home or model of their transportation mode. For that matter, I don't think their etiquette at the dinner table is a factor either.

As you may recall, Marta is quite a bird watcher and we have the MacDonnald's of the bird world in our yard. You really can see the hierarchy in action there.

Where will you have to sail to get the rudder cages?

NautiG said...

Hey you guys, short term itinerary is dependent on the rudders. I'm not leaving the Hilton Head area until I have them sorted out. Rudders hopefully will arrive by ups shortly. If so, I'll be able to install them while at the marina this last week.