Sunday, January 27, 2008

Come Sail Away with Me


Successfully left the dock today after a month at Shelter Cove marina in Hilton Head. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. The first step is usually the hardest. The boat and I did a few miles while getting our sea legs back. The engine did give me a little trouble starting up, after being trouble free when tested yesterday.

Tomorrow we're going out into the Atlantic ocean. We'll be just off the coast. The weather is supposed to be perfect. Warm and Sunny with Northerly winds. I'll raise the jib and maybe the mainsail. I'll probably have to keep the engine running for steering. Offshore is a much more direct and less complicated route than the ICW in Georgia. The ICW is twisty and turny with fast tides to deal with. It's supposedly really pretty though, with very little development.

I don't know if the webcam will work, or how exciting it will be. Because there isn't much development and I'll be offshore, my internet connection may not be too great. Also, unlike the ICW, there isn't much to see on the ocean. The shoreline, bridges and boats on the ICW are much more visually interesting.

There's a shuttle launch in Florida scheduled for Feb 7. It would be really cool to get down there to see that. One of my earliest memories, which I don't really have now, but remember remembering is seeing one of the Apollo launches. I was really young. Maybe a year old. You're probably doubting that I could have a memory of something from that age. It wasn't a complete memory, more of an impression of bright light and loud noise. (Side note. Grampa, maybe you want to think about doing a guest blog about Cocoa Beach and the Voyager launches.) If I make it to Cocoa Beach in time, you can watch the launch with me on the boatcam!

Pic is webcam wearing sunglasses, as mentioned in the comments of the last post.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott -
Nice to see that you're underway again and that the conditions are favorable.

BTW - I wasn't at all bored with the posts from the marina - I find it all very interesting.

Where do you plan to pass from the ICW to the 'big water' and back. My recollection is that there aren't all that many protected channels that'll get you in & out.

OTOH - having a vessel with an 18" draft would be a great comfort for someone like myself used to needing 6 feet of water. I suppose that this opens up some channel possibilities that I'd have feared.

Why do feel that you may need to run your engine to help maintain steerage - is this something that relates to your rudder difficulties?

Smooth sailing tomorrow!

NautiG said...

Thanks Ross. You would have thought that with a month at a marina, I would have fixed my rudder situation, but I did not. So yes, I need the engine for steering.

I will probably only go about 35 miles south to Ossabaw Sound. South of there for about 50 miles is a huge dead zone for my internet (and I imagine cell phone) coverage. I can just imagine Grampa and Muffy going into a tizzy tonight if the boatcam is offline and I'm not responding to emails or phone calls. I imagine it would make an interesting blog post if they were to call the coast guard to search for me. But seriously, if stuff goes well, and I feel like it, I may continue further south. I may be unreachable until I get near Brunswick GA. If you don't hear from me, really, I'm fine.

sandy said...

Hi Scott,
The boat cam is really amazing. Safe trip!
Sandy

Amy said...

I agree. It's cool to catch glimpses of you on the fore deck.

And it looks like a beatiful day to be sailing!

NautiG said...

Glad you guys enjoyed the ride. Hope you didn't get seasick.

Anonymous said...

Hi Scott,
Be sure and give us a call when you are in the Cocoa Beach area. 321-544-1733 is my cell. We'd love to get together with you. Should be nice weather for your trip.
Carla

NautiG said...

Will do.

NautiG said...

We're in Georgia now. Light headwinds are expected from the south today. I'll probably just motor down to the next sound. If the winds are from another direction, I may keep going south. Winds yesterday were predicted to be from the north. They were actually easterly.

Beyond the next sound is an internet dead space. In there I will be incommunicado. Also, a small craft advisory has been issued for tomorrow. I'll be spending it at anchor, where ever I am.