Friday, February 22, 2008

Riding on the Wind

My schedule is firming up. Until now, my rudder situation, newness to cruising, the boat and the southeast coast made my schedule a little indefinite. Friends would ask, "Where are you going to be on such and such date?" My answer would be, I don't know. Now my schedule looks like:

3/3-3/7 :: Fred aboard for Bike Week in Daytona
3/11 :: Cape Canaveral for Shuttle Launch
3/14-3/21 :: Muffy aboard in Central FL
April :: Head North
May :: Marina in Baltimore/visit Muffy in NYC one last time
June :: Chesapeake to Martha's Vineyard with Muffy aboard
July :: NE Cruising
August :: Mass to Chesapeake
Sept :: Richmond

It's a packed schedule. And I am a little bummed that I won't make the Bahamas this time around, but what are you going to do?

Grampa sends this link which appears to be a "webcam" pic of Pluto aboard a space mission which I believe Grampa worked on.

Ross sends this link to a "plane" which might be helpful for fishing while sailing. I've been unsuccessful fishing thus far. Mostly because I've been motoring at speeds of 5 knots or so, and the lure tends to ride on the surface at that speed. I'm hopeful now that things are settling on the boat, that I'll have more luck on a slow overnight passage.

Also, I know people like to email me stuff, but I'll again encourage folks, that as long as the information isn't personal, too inflammatory or completely off topic, to post in the comments section. I've received some pretty funny/informative emails which I think others would enjoy reading. I'll reiterate my invitations to Amy and Grampa, and extend the invitation to Bill and Ross, to guest blog. I have no problem handing the wheel off to others. Ross, maybe you'd like to do a blog post about fishing? Bill, marine electronics?

1 comments:

Grampa said...

Next Shuttle launch is on March 11 at about 2:30 am. Good opportunity to see a night launch if it goes off as scheduled. It will go to the Space Station and will deliver a Japanese laboratory module and a Canadian two-armed robotics system.

The NASA site has the following regarding boaters viewing:
Boaters viewing launches should tune to Channel 16 VHF-FM for instructions from the Coast Guard pertaining to restricted areas. The Coast Guard will patrol those areas in the rivers and offshore in the Atlantic Ocean. Boaters will not be permitted north of marker 15 on the Banana River (where the high wires cross the river). Boaters may not enter the southern part of Mosquito Lagoon (past the Haulover Canal). However, the Canal, part of the Intracoastal Waterway, will remain open to traffic. Boaters may not set foot on any land that is part of the Kennedy Space Center or the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.