Thursday, February 28, 2008

Fear


I awoke this morning expecting to do a 60 mile jaunt down to Daytona Beach. The wind was still blowing hard, but the weather service predicted that it would abate. I read a comment from Bill that it would be a better decision to go on the inside. I motored out of Salt Run and past the St. Augustine inlet. The wind was still blowing hard and I could see breakers out in the ocean. I decided to stay on the inside.

It was a decision I soon regretted. I don't blame anyone but myself. I'm the captain and take responsibility for my decisions. I've made good ones and bad ones. But the one's I've regretted, are the ones I've made out of fear.

I don't regret taking the boat across Mobjack Bay in November and destroying the rudder. The boat and I are both stronger for it. Well, at least the boat is, with the new rudders. However, I wouldn't take the boat out in those conditions again.

I'm writing this while sitting in Matanzas Inlet, after only making a few miles today, a lot of it under motor. There's a nice gentle breeze blowing, and I long to be out on the ocean right now. Instead tomorrow, I have a 25 mile motor through the ditch to the next anchorage.

I'm not angry about it. Just resigned. And I've promised myself that if I find a good weather window, in the future I will take it to sail. I promise that there will be a s*** load of sailing on the way back north.

Pic is a fish I caught today. It's the first fish I've caught on this trip. At least I can console myself with that. Also, I did work some bugs out of the stripped down Nautig. I think my heading should be displayed correctly, and the sailboat icon should move along as my position changes. These are things that I could only work on while underway.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

In that section, with a NW wind W wind or no wind, the the wind in the ditch and offshore are the same - period. However, the residual seas offshore would have made for even WORSE progress - and you would have had 20 more miles to run. You would have been left offshore with no secure place to anchor. You're in the right spot.

NautiG said...

Hey Bill,

Again, I have no problem with your advice. It just wasn't right for me.

Amy's idea of St. Augustine was that it would be a great destination. I visited and wasn't that impressed. As I mentioned in my post about the town, I think it's a matter of perspective.

Coming through the ditch here would be the safest way to make the journey. And it would be interesting to me, if I hadn't already done a lot of miles in the ditch.

However, sailing the 60 miles would have been the thing for me. Yah, it would have pushed my limits a little. I would have to deal with the residual seas, unpredictable NWS forecasts, and the distance. But I don't think I would have been doing anything irresponsible. And I might have learned something

Unknown said...

Oh me hearty..... you haven't heard me yet......

When one ponders going to sea there are four and only four possible outcomes:

1. Coulda gone & did ... OK
2. Coulda gone & didn't ... OK
3. Shouldn't go & didn't... OK
4. Shouldn't go & did, .... woe be to thee.

There are sayings, folk sayings,(like... a stitch in time saves nine), that are repeated through time because they contain nuggets of truth. Sailors have them too.

Consider:

Three rules of seamanship...
1. Wait for weather.
2. Wait for weather.
3. Wait for weather.

another....

There are old sailors
and there are bold sailors
but there are no old bold sailors.

Don't regret today. You made the choice of a prudent mariner.