Monday, February 25, 2008

Dirty Laundry


It's now been nearly a month since I've paid for a night at a marina. Marinas are expensive on a nightly basis. They generally cost $1.50-$2.00 a foot. My boat is 30 foot long, so you do the math. Some folks have suggested that I'd run into hassles with the beam (width) of a catamaran, and needing a larger slip. But I haven't had any problem. My Gemini only has a 14 foot beam and if I were hassled, I'd just go to the next marina.

You don't get much of a price break for staying at a marina for a week. Three weeks on the hook, and a week at a marina would be ideal for me, but it's too expensive. You do get a pretty good break for a month's stay. It's only slightly more expensive than spending a week. Staying in Hilton Head for a month was about the cost of rent on a studio apartment in Fells Point.

But anyway, being on the hook for an extended period of time leads to a lot of issues that on land you take for granted. Among them are drinking water, sewage and laundry. I'll address drinking water and sewage later. They deserve their own posts.

I tried doing some laundry at anchor. Pic is my socks drying. I haven't perfected the process yet. I may still stink, but there is no one aboard to complain about it.

6 comments:

Grampa said...

Given the severe weather forecast for northeast FL, it might be wise to tie up rather than being on the hook tonight. If on the hook, maybe you should consider two.

At a meeting today with some range safety folks from KSC/CCAFS, the recommendation for launch viewing is on the Banana River, as close as the Coast Guard will allow.

NautiG said...

Thanks for the info. I read that the launch is scheduled for 2:30 am. I've heard that night launches are spectacular. I'll have the webcam going, if anyone is up at that hour.

I checked the radar, and looks like the bulk of the storm is heading north. Although, there is some stuff developing on the Florida panhandle. If it looks like we'll be hit, there's a mooring ball just off my bow. Not sure who it belongs to, but I doubt anyone would object if I tied up to it for a few hours during a storm.

Unknown said...

I think that's a stingray or possibly a skate. So dried up it's hard to tell. Probably bycatch from comercial welk or scallop trawling.

NautiG said...

Hey Bill, I'd recommend Salt Run as an anchorage. However, it is clogged up with sailboats and mooring balls. Also, I'm not sure about the depths, so I don't know how it would work for your trawler.

I've read that they are going to dredge it sometime soon. That should solve both problems.

Unknown said...

Scott, Sorry I started comment in wrong post.

I've never been in Salt Run. Was told it was too shallow at the entrance (shoaled) and private/unfriendly anyway. Looks like a great spot. Tell me more details.

NautiG said...

It's not shoaled at the entrance. I passed a sightseeing boat from St A. in the channel, and a sport fisherman was behind me. So depths have got to be good as far as the marina.

I'll keep an eye on my depth meter as I leave tomorrow for Daytona. The lighthouse and surrounding neighborhood are nice. There's the boat ramp with porta-potties, a park and tennis courts. If I had been here over the weekend, I would have brought my racket ashore to see if I could get a pickup game.

There's a small yacht club. The guys seemed nice and let me fill up some water jugs. Also a convenience store and some other shops are a short walking distance.

But again, Salt Run is currently clogged up with a bunch of sailboats on moorings.