Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Smooth Sailing


I'm in Maryland! Actually dipped the hulls into Maryland waters before tucking into Smith Point last night. (The Potomac up to the Virginia shoreline is part of Maryland.) Unfortunately, I'm only in Solomons Island. I've got another 70 miles to go to Baltimore. A small craft advisory was issued starting at 6pm today. I decided to duck in here rather than searching for a port on the Eastern Shore. (The Western Shore lacks inlets between here and just south of Annapolis.) The weather looks to be unsettled for the next few days, so I may be here awhile.

I'd be pulling into Baltimore now, if I'd done an overnighter last night. But I've put the kibosh on singlehanded overnighters. At least while I'm cruising day after day. I've had a couple scares on my past overnighters. I get too fatigued at a certain point and am apt to make bad decisions. Once I get myself in a bad situation, adrenaline kicks in, I get pretty clear-headed, and am able to get myself and the boat out of the jam. But I'd like to avoid those bad situations altogether.

Passed the boat in the pic down by Deltaville, VA.

9 comments:

Peter Y. said...

Scott,
That looks like the schooner VIRGINIA, the one Mike helped to build. He did all the epoxy mixing...and thus the allergy now.

NautiG said...

Peter,
Again, many thanks for the new laptop. I'm busy this afternoon installing my programming tools.

I'm amazed at how much less power it uses than my old laptop. The old one caused the power inverter to complain on a daily basis. The inverter has yet to complain about this laptop AND I've been running the generator a lot less.

The only problem is the webcam causes the computer to crash. I use a free program called Yawcam. But it's written in Java and is a memory hog. I'll try to write a little program while at anchor tomorrow, and get the webcam back online.

Amy said...

Hooray! Welcome home, sailor.

That is a beautiful picture.

NautiG said...

I'm sure the picture would be a lot prettier taken with your fancy camera. Mine doesn't have a zoom, and I've realized that without cropping the image, the subject appears much farther away than in real life.

The freighter from the last post was a lot closer than it appears in the picture.

I wish I really was in Baltimore. It seems a shame that I wasted a lot of this weather window sleeping. You and I may have to do some overnighters this summer. It just makes such a difference when the weather is in your favor. And now I'll have to sit a day and maybe more here in Solomons.

Mr. Fred said...

Welcome back to MD dude! Sounds like you are anxious to get back to Baltimore, but you are right at the mouth of the Patuxent and Riverfield is only 20 miles up river.

If the wind is not in your favor for heading up to Baltimore and you are stuck there for a few days, you could motor up to Riverfield. Or I have fri/sat off and could drive up to Solomon's and we could eat some good seafood.

Anyway, just sticking a bug in your ear. Get back to me so I can plan appropriately if necessary.

NautiG said...

It all depends on which way the wind is blowing. But now that I'm back in MD, all aboard!

Where is Older Salty? I'd love to do some sailing with the boys!

But if the sailing doesn't work out, you know where I am. I wouldn't mind exploring Solomons if the winds aren't right.

Anonymous said...

Hey Cap.
welcome back to the Bay.
If you need to dock up, my dads place is more likey open. Let me know. I'm sure it won't be a problem. Looks like a lot of rainy days are coming.
When's your B-Day?
Later-------------------------
Older Salty

NautiG said...

Hey OS, I'm in a pretty tight spot, but will keep your dad's place in mind. It's nice to have that in my back pocket. Last time I was in Solomons I had a boat blow into me. So I'm not real excited about being here with the weather predicted for the next few days.

If the weather is at all reasonable this weekend, and I'm not in Baltimore yet, you and the Freds are more than welcome aboard for some sailing.

Anonymous said...

Scott,
Dads room is 1413 if you need him.
As far as sailing I'll have to get back to you, Mothers day and all that this weekend.
Big trophy rock fish are around maybe you'll be able to hook one early in the morning. LIC. Needed.
Talk to you later
OS