Sunday, May 4, 2008

Back in the Bay


Sailing out of Norfolk I tried to stay on the edge of the channel. When I saw this guy coming towards me, I moved over even more. Then he sounded four toots, and the two tugboats pivoted him directly towards me. I looked over my shoulder and saw a side channel leading to a landing where hundreds of containers were stacked.

Fortunately, he passed in front of me, not on top of me. I snapped the pic after he passed.

I enjoyed an easy motor-sail into the mouth of the bay, listening to A Prairie Home Companion on the radio. But when a cooking show came on, the wind started picking up. In a matter of minutes, the cruising went from enjoyable to white-knuckle. I can imagine how nasty the conditions could be on this part of the bay, if the weather turned bad.

Oh wait, no need to imagine. This is the stretch of the bay where I busted my rudder. In fact, I'm holed up in the same creek that saved my ass that time. I might spend the day here. It looks like conditions will be more favorable tomorrow on.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly the spot you are talking about with that ship. They keep nugding over an over. I spent half an hour trying to call one of them on the VHF to find out their intentions to no avail. Then the ship spun right at us. The Captain came out on the bridge and yelled at us to get out of the way (we were that close) I yelled back that if he would have answered his radio, we could have avoided this whole thing. I've got to say I don't miss Norfolk harbor

NautiG said...

Hey Maryanne, I tied up overnight at the High Street Landing in Portsmouth and said hi to Peter and Betsy. I'm typing this comment on the laptop Peter gave me. I finally got my modem working on it after updating Windows XP with SP2.

One thing I've noticed is that the XP laptop uses less electricity than my Vista laptop. With the Vista laptop, at a certain point my inverter will start to squeal, indicating it can't pull enough juice from the batteries. But if I unplug the Vista laptop, I can run the XP one in its place for hours without the inverter complaining.

Anyway, your account of leaving Norfolk harbor for Rhode Island makes my stomach turn. It's a good argument for not having a tight schedule when sailing.

NautiG said...

Sails up, gps and webcam on. I'm in the process of migrating to the new laptop, so the gps and webcam will be sporadic for a while.

The next 36 hours look like a good weather window. I'm going to spend as much of that time sailing as I can. Presently have the motor running too and making 6-7 knots. There's a chance I'll reach Maryland today.

Rose said...

Go for it Scott and welcome home!

NautiG said...

Thanks Rose. We'll see where I end up tomorrow night. It would be pretty exciting if it was the Broadway Pier in Fells Point. I'd have to celebrate with a pint or two at one or more of the fine local establishments.

Rose said...

i agree~!

Amy said...

I wonder if the dollar crabs are back on the menu?

NautiG said...

Regardless of the number of crab traps I've dodged today, crab season is the same as tomato and corn season. June-September.

Foods should be eaten in season and sourced as locally as possible. Aren't you writing a food blog?

Amy said...

I know... I was just thinking about some of my favorite places near Broadway Pier.

Rose said...

So, where are you? From the gps, it looks like you are at Northumberland right around the edge of Virginia and about to sail across the Potomac River to Maryland?

I know you are anxious to get to Baltimore so I assume you will not try to visit us at Riverfield on this leg?

The weather seems ideal here so hopefully you are enjoying the same. I would see the sail up on the boatcam and the weather seemed really nice. Hopefully all is going well.