Thursday, May 29, 2008

CWCS: Nectarine Chicken


Cooking with Capt' Scott (CWCS)

Grill chicken

Cook rice

Make chutney sauce to pour over chicken:

Chop up nectarine and zucchini. Mush equal parts banana and water. Add nectarines and zucchini to banana mush and heat in pot until hot. Add hot sauce until desired spiciness is reached.

Grill nectarine garnish:
Cut a nectarine in half. Stick a fork in each half and grill over stove top flame like you would a marshmellow. Try to char the nectarine a little. It's done when it falls off the fork.


I like to grill chicken thighs and legs because they are nearly impossible to overcook. They are so fatty that they don't dry out. The only problem is that they are so fatty that they start grease fires on my gas grill.

At the supermarket we smelled the nectarines as we passed them in the produce aisle. That's always a good sign of a fruit that is ripe and will be flavorful. We passed strawberries, raspberries and blueberries too. They all looked good, but had no smell.

The zucchinis looked good at the market. My initial plan was to slice and grill the zucchinis as a side dish to plain grilled chicken. I didn't have a plan for the nectarines.

I guess the nectarine chicken idea was inspired by our dinner at Bicycle last week, and the mix of flavors in their dishes. I like the balance of sweet and hot in a chutney. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any hot sauce on the boat. I ended up borrowing a couple packets of Taco Bell hot sauce from a marina neighbor.

1 comments:

NautiG said...

Amy turned the leftovers (I grilled six chicken legs and a pot of rice) into a fried rice meal. She posted about it here.

I'm getting pretty excited about hitting the road again. We should be starting our cruise to Martha's Vineyard early next week. Boatcam and gps will be back online then.