Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Gunkholing


Definition - Cruising in shallow water and spending the nights in coves.

Left Baltimore yesterday morning. A small craft warning was issued from noon on. Possible anchorages along our path were White Rocks, Hart-Miller Island and Worton Creek. As we rounded H-M Island, the weather was holding and I decided to head up the bay and across to the Eastern Shore. Big mistake. The boat and I were fine, but the Admiral got seasick as the wind picked up and swells began to build.

It was a bad start to our cruise. I'm trying to make this trip as enjoyable as possible for the Admiral. But there is the tension of having to be in Martha's Vineyard by the end of the month. While this isn't a strenuous schedule, it does mean that we have to keep moving.

We're hanging out in Worton Creek today, gunkholing. We could make some miles today. The weather seems ok. But there are isolated thunderstorms rolling through, and I don't want to get caught in one of them.

Amy took her first sun shower this morning. She wouldn't let me post a picture of her showering in her bikini, so instead the pic is of me taking a bath in the creek.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you get Amy to stand in front of the web cam and wave? :)

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

Even after my shower, I'm not feeling all that photogenic!

Rose said...

i think a severe tornado watch is heading your way at about 4:15PM today. Its right now threatening Annapolis and heading your way. Batten down.

Ross said...

Sorry to read about the seasickness. Both Phyllis & I are very susceptible to motion sickness and thereby have much empathy. We also go to great lengths to avoid it - to include turning right around to seek shelter if things look too risky.

I found that after a period of time living aboard my tolerance increased - so take heart Amy.

Say, Scott - those are some very unusual fins!

NautiG said...

Hey Ross,

The fins are zoomers. They're a little more amphibious than normal flippers.

I watched the storm coming on the radar. The tornado watch was for south of where we are, but the storm still packed plenty of wind. We're in a tight spot and with two anchors down, we did not drag.

I set the delta anchor for the first time yesterday. I expected it to be a "super anchor", but it dragged under the reverse motor test. It took a few tries and two anchors (the delta and a danforth) down before I got a good hold.