Saturday, August 23, 2008

Imagine


We were sitting on the back porch last night while Amy cooked her famous grilled pizza. Meanwhile, I pondered life in Virginia and the empty dog house in our backyard.

While sailing, I hoped that I would come upon someone giving away kittens. I wanted to adopt one as a boatmate and name it chum. But that never happened, which is a good thing, because our new landlord does not allow cats. He does however allow dogs under seven pounds. I don't want a dog. And Amy doesn't want a small dog. She wants a big one to protect the house.

So anyway, last night we decided to adopt an imaginary big dog. We decided on a lab, even though I don't like labs. (Sometimes you have to compromise.) We have yet to decide on a name for our imaginary dog. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

6 comments:

Grampa said...

How about Hot Dog. They are pretty small. But so was that terrier breed that burrowed after critters that is good for farms.

sandy said...

As you know, I am very partial to chichuahuas. The breed is 2000 years old, they are extremely intelligent, and absolutely loyal. The long hair chichuahua looks llike a cross between a dog and a cat, but is all dog. Much better than an imaginary animal. We love ours.

NautiG said...

UB suggested by email Phantom or Shadow for names. He still can't figure out how to comment on the blog.

Sorry Sandy, I'm more of a cat guy. I like to be ignored, which a cat will do. Also, they are a little more self sufficient. You can go away for the weekend without making arrangements for feeding and walking.

I bet our imaginary dog will need even less care and feeding. Vet bills should be negligible too.

Anonymous said...

Well, THOR is feeling a bit sad that he didn't win you over....but he suggests that you name your immaginary lab for its color. What color is it anyway?? MOUSSE is a nice name for a chocolate lab and food lovers like you are! Can Amy make a mousse on the grill?

Amy said...

I was totally won over by Thor, but Scott told me you probably wouldn't let us have him.

We decided on an imaginary yellow lab. Maybe Blondie?

NautiG said...

Thor could come for a visit in Richmond. My problem is with younger Labs. I've had a couple bad experiences with them. An old roommate got a lab puppy years ago. She would leave it tied up in the yard when she went to work or out for the evening. The dog would bark nonstop for hours.

The same thing happened a few years ago when some girls renting the house next to mine in Fells Point bought a Lab puppy. They kept it in a crate when they were out. And it seemed like they were always out.

The stamina of these dogs was amazing. I don't know how they could bark nonstop for hours on end, but they could. It nearly drove me insane.