Thursday, July 10, 2008

Good News and Bad News


Which do you want first?

The good news is that it looks like I will make the Gemini raft-up this weekend. The weather forecast looks favorable and despite a lot of wind today, I was able to make a few miles down to Point Judith.

I've realized what a pussy I've become regarding wind. This morning the wind was gusting 20-25 knots. I ordinarily wouldn't go out in that much wind. But I knew this morning there'd be a windward shore preventing the waves from building up too much.

I also realized that I've never reefed a sail. (Reefing reduces the amount of sail exposed to the wind.) My M.O. is to lower the mainsail and go on a jib alone. That's fine, and I averaged 4-5 knots on the jib alone this morning. But maybe I ought to practice reefing the main.

More good news is that my engine is charging the batteries. When Lou was aboard, he pointed out that I ought to check some of the wiring on the engine, which I did. I've noticed recently that I've used my generator less often to charge the batteries, but I wasn't sure if this was because of the engine charging or some other factor.

And now for the bad news. My generator wouldn't start this morning. I know the outboard engine is charging the batteries because that's the only way I have any power now. It doesn't charge a lot, so I'm on restricted power.

The problem with the generator is no spark. I think I've narrowed it down to the electronic ignition. Now I just need to find where I can order a new one. That's it in the picture.

2 comments:

Rose said...

Is your plan to sail back the way you came - through Hell's Gate? Is your place in Richmond on water or where will you keep the boat while in Richmond? Hopefully, you can stop at Riverfield on your way to Richmond. Fred would love that!

Lou and Meg SV *Starrider* said...

Scott,
There are 3 Gems rafted up to Starrider so far. One is an older gem like yours. How are you doing making it down this way?

Take Care,
Louie & Meg